Bring me up to speed - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bring me up to speed

I've been away from my Pontiacs for over 20 years, and now have time to get back to work on them, and I need to be brought up to speed on a couple of things.
Has anyone ever come up with a high heat paint or powder coating in Pontiac metallic blue that won't burn off of the heads at the cross over and exhaust ports?
Does anyone sell replacement quadrajets that don't require a core?
Are there any good swap meets that I can locate parts for Pontiacs?
Thanks, Bo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 11:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepp on it View Post
I've been away from my Pontiacs for over 20 years, and now have time to get back to work on them, and I need to be brought up to speed on a couple of things.
Has anyone ever come up with a high heat paint or powder coating in Pontiac metallic blue that won't burn off of the heads at the cross over and exhaust ports?
Does anyone sell replacement quadrajets that don't require a core?
Are there any good swap meets that I can locate parts for Pontiacs?
Thanks, Bo
Hey Bo,

First welcome!

I will jump in, I started back about 25-30 years ago with Pontiacs, been gone and come back a few times so I know what you must be going through. First, no to my knowledge there is no paint (or process) that stands up to the heat of the heads. That said there are now aluminum cylinder heads available for Pontiac engines that I have heard can be painted with better results - I am sure Bear will jump in with his feedback about that.

Your best bet for parts is now Ebay, Craigslist.org, local meets and swap n shops and that sort of thing. As far as I know any service that sells quadrajets will require a core, your best case would be someone that offered a huge discount with a core or a much higher price no core.

You have come to the right place for answers, and there are A LOT more resources now than 20 years ago. I know sometimes I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Good Luck,
Scott

2005 GTO Daily Driver
1969 Custom-S Project car

1971 GTO 455 in process of rebuild TH400 NEED A NEW REAREND!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 01:30 PM

Garage
Bo, Plasti-Kote paint is what Ames sells. I've used it and I think it is pretty good. That said, I do have a browning effect at the points you reference. Summit does sell Quadrajets that do not require a core. About $500. I bought a stage 2 from them and am happy with it. Not sure on the swap meets coming up. Matt

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm doing a true restoration on my convertible, so no Edelbrock heads for it.
I have a hardtop that I'm thinking of making more of a driver, so I may go that way with it.
The only quadrajets I can find are side inlets for a Chevy, which wouldn't be correct.
I will eventually find one.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have one or two bones to pick with Ames. That said the qjet I bought from them a year or so ago has performed flawlessly. Right out of the box. No adjustments. They promised me that it was rebuilt with ethanol resistant gaskets etc. I did not return a core. Yes that cost me but I wanted to hang onto it just in case. Good luck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 06:34 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Burnt paint on the exhaust ports and intake heat areas is a badge of honor: it means you drive your Pontiac and it's not a trailer queen. Nature of the beast. Doesn't bother me a bit. Any more than having the tits on my new tires worn off due to driving. No big deal.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Burnt paint on the exhaust ports and intake heat areas is a badge of honor: it means you drive your Pontiac and it's not a trailer queen. Nature of the beast. Doesn't bother me a bit. Any more than having the tits on my new tires worn off due to driving. No big deal.

1968 GTO / 400 HO / 4 Speed
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 AM

Garage
Bo, looks like OPGI has stage I and II quadrajets advertised... with the correct fuel inlet. Matt

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
POR 15 makes a Pontiac engine paint I used with good results. As stated above, a little burning is a sign of what these cars are all about.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in