Console advise for 68 GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Console advise for 68 GTO

When I bought my 68 GTO the console was junk and I took it out. It was busted in several places and could not be repaired. Good used ones on Ebay are going for 700 to 900 bucks. The Parts Place has a 68 manual console kit that has everything except mounting brackets for 279.00. Has anyone seen these or have any experience with them? I would really like to see what someone on the forum has to say about them before I order one. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Console

You know, it seems as if someone would know something about these consoles good or bad. 68 views and no replies. Wow
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Garage
I have no experience with the one you are talking about at The Parts Place, but I have heard really good things about the newer version at Ames. Around $400 for the console itself. Of course you will need the other piece-parts too. $700-$900 seems a bit high. OK, between The Parts Place and Ames, I would guess "you get what you pay for" applies here. Just IMO. Regards, Matt

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 10:57 PM

I used a reproduction console in my previous 68.

Unless they have introduced a new version, the reproduction console is hard plastic (ABS), not covered with foam-backed vinyl skin.

It fit OK and looked good when installed. I painted it with a lower gloss black interior paint to match the original vinyl finish (as received, it had a higher gloss than the original part).

The aftermarket console bin and lid will work with the reproduction base, but you might have to do some "finessing" to get the lid to sit and close properly on the base.

I bought mine from Ames; I don't know how the Parts Place console compares to the Ames part.

This is the best picture I have of the installed console:

1968 Pontiac GTO
1983 Pontiac Bonneville (G) wagon
2008 Pontiac G8 base

Last edited by jmt455; 12-06-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: added image link
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Be aware that many of the parts other vendors (like Ames) sell are the same ones that you get through thepartsplace. I found that out when I bought some of the plastic lower dash inserts for my 69 from Ames and saw that on the back side they were clearly stamped "thepartsplace". Even so, sometimes Ames has the same part for less. I guess it has to do with their cost, volume, and shipping charges.
The best approach would be to select a few vendors that you're interested in, then call them and talk to them about the part(s) in question. Sometimes they'll tell you the source, sometimes not - but they SHOULD be willing to give you details about how the part is made (is the outer finish plastic or padded vinyl, for example).

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in