User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Custom Headers

It has become obvious to me that "store bought" headers are not gonna fit into my scheme of things....so....I checked with a very reputable shop.....$2500 for a custom set of stainless steel headers, 2" primary into a 3 1/2 collector..........+$2000 for a fabricated 3" set of pipes w/ mufflers to the rear bumper...... I am happy to see there is a solution, but the price is frightening!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
It has become obvious to me that "store bought" headers are not gonna fit into my scheme of things....so....I checked with a very reputable shop.....$2500 for a custom set of stainless steel headers, 2" primary into a 3 1/2 collector..........+$2000 for a fabricated 3" set of pipes w/ mufflers to the rear bumper...... I am happy to see there is a solution, but the price is frightening!!!!
Have you checked with "Mad Dog" headers? I have no personal experience with them, but I hear very good things about them.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post

Eric, for custom headers that were ceramic coated, the price I paid was around $2,500 (Paul's guy). The "hang" on the passenger side was substantially eliminated. Didn't replace back-end pipes or mufflers. Good luck.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM

$4500 let me say that again $4500

For $6500 you can bend up your own and replace them when they get rusty and everybody you knows car also. Of course that is a new bender I bet you could score a used one with pipe for $4500
FREE SHIPPING — BendPak Inc. Blue Bullet Exhaust Pipe Bender, Model BB-1 | Pipe + Bar Benders | Northern Tool + Equipment

I know it's not headers and you have to do the work and its not Stainless. But WOW $4500

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Paul, I think your job was done by Kook's....they have moved out of the area. this is a shop owned by a former employee (so i am told)..... LIKETHAT, The funny thing is, I could operate that Blue Bender! I worked in an exhaust shop for 2 years, and bent pipe all the time. BEAR, I will check Mad Dog out, thank you.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 PM

I can see and understand paying that kind of money for the headers. I think if you buy 3" stainless complete systems from one of the aftermarket venders hang it on the car first and then the guy can make the headers to mate with the rest of the exhaust. Save some money.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
looking at your frame i would imagine the exhaust would have to be custom bent.....but man thats a chunk of change...
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Dimitri...but what INST8R says is correct...all custom....Ah well, If ya' wanna play, ya' gotta pay........

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 02:33 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Eric,I have less than $4500 into my entire '65 GTO, including purchase price, repaint, engine overhaul, trans overhaul, and rear diff overhaul. And tires and wheels, too. 4500 for exhaust? To coin a phrase from the movie "Used Cars", "That's too F88ing High!!" (Insert shotgun blast here). I'd shop around a little....the economy is rough,and there are a lot of skilled guys out there....Step back a minute and get ahold of yourself. FORTY FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS??? EEEEEEEEKKKKKK!!!!!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 02:35 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
(I forgot to say that my less-than 4500 dollars were early/mid 1980's dollars!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in