Custom Interiors???? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Custom Interiors????

I have a 1965 GTO that I am restoring. It will never be 100% original because the engine, transmission, and rear end were changed out long before I got the car. So as I restore it I am upgrading and improving it. One of the things my wife asked was if there was anyway to put in reclining bucket seats with headrest. I have found the ones on Original Parts Group but they do not offer rear seats so they won't match.

I have also seen where people take seats out of the newer GTO's, 2004-2006, and place them in the older cars for a custom look.

Does anyone know if there is a company out there that offers front and rear custom seats that match and would look good with stock door panels and dash?

Also, is there any information on how to modify newer generation seats to make them work in older GTO's?

Thanks,
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Custom Interiors????

I have a 1965 GTO that I am restoring. It will never be 100% original because the engine, transmission, and rear end were changed out long before I got the car. So as I restore it I am upgrading and improving it. One of the things my wife asked was if there was anyway to put in reclining bucket seats with headrest. I have found the ones on Original Parts Group but they do not offer rear seats so they won't match.

I have also seen where people take seats out of the newer GTO's, 2004-2006, and place them in the older cars for a custom look.

Does anyone know if there is a company out there that offers front and rear custom seats that match and would look good with stock door panels and dash?

Also, is there any information on how to modify newer generation seats to make them work in older GTO's?

Thanks,
Dale
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 PM

Thats a really good subject. I would like to replace the seats in my car with a more comfortable one and then there is the door line to be concerned. The 2004-06 seats are much better looking but I fear they are too tall. My car is also a 65---convertible.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I asked a similar question a couple months ago and there was a nice discussion about it, and I also got a lot of great information from looking at the more active chevelle forums.
https://www.gtoforum.com/f50/non-vintage-seats-29444/
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 AM

Garage
The 2004-2006 GTO bucket seats fit well and look very nice with minor modification ( floor mount brackets). The rear seats however are way too tall. They need to be shortened about 6-8 inches, and center/side fillers fabricated. I would suggest installing the front seats. Then having the rear seat (65) re-upholstered to match the fronts......would look great IMHO Eric

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
You could also change the interior to a '66 or '67 interior. It all fits. '66 and '67 offered reclining passenger side seat with headrest. Rare, but I've sat in 'em. I once had a '65 with a '67 interior, and it looked like it was born there. If you're not a GTO purist, you'll never know the difference. Also, with me, I can drive my GTO all day without back issues (especially my '67 with the rebuilt seat), but I can't drive most newer vehicles comfortably for a long time. The seats are too low, and I'm sitting on my tailbone. One reason I'm not into Mustangs or Firebirds. A lot of seating options out there, and they are a bolt in, so you won't bede-valuing the car if you hold on tho the original gut.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the information. I had thought about the 66-67 interior but finding a reclining passenger seat would be difficult and probably expensive.

Has anyone tried the aftermarket seats from Original Parts Group? I was just wondering the quality and if they are bolt in without modifications. If they are that would be an option and have the rear seats redid to match. I also like the idea of the 04-06 front seats and having the back redid to match them.

The interior is still a ways off before I start on it. I just like deciding ahead of time what I am going to do so I can gather the needed items.

Thanks again,
Dale
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
I asked a similar question a couple months ago and there was a nice discussion about it, and I also got a lot of great information from looking at the more active chevelle forums.
https://www.gtoforum.com/f50/non-vintage-seats-29444/
I looked up the link you had with the Chevelle and those are the seats that Original Parts Group sells. Those are the seats that rap around and I was looking at the step below that is just contoured seats. I just wonder if he had the back seat made to match and if he had to modify his mounts.

Dale
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

I did some more digging and I found out who makes the seats sold by OPG. They are Procar seats and are made by Scat. When I went to their web site I found that they actually have a lot of different seats and material options to include leather and velour. They even have custom mounting brackets for a variety of vehicles that makes their seats bolt in capable with no modifications or fabrications. They even have rear seats and kits for VWs, Mustangs, and Camaros. I am going to contact them and see if I can buy their material in bulk to make a back seat for the 65. If I can, I might have just found a great solution.

Here is their web site.

Procar by Scat

Dale
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 04:01 PM

I've always wondered if seats from any GM a body will fit other divisions, and thanks to that website, I found out that they do!

I really like the Elite lumber in black velour.... No vinyl for this texas boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in