dan woodland, Nightshade 68 HO

75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Thanks Mathew, I appreciate your input.

While it's on jack stands I will be taking the diff cover off as well to replace the seal. It has a leak anyway.

I thought about it being submerged but the driver side is no where near as rusty as the passenger side. I'm hoping it was just those open adjuster plug holes.

I will be replacing the passenger side rear brake cylinder too, when I'm done the entire brake system will be new and yes I plan to drive it as you suggested after I get all the mechanicals done.

Regarding the rear diff, I've read I should use a GM gear oil and a GM additive - about 27 ounces worth. Is this true or is "standard" hypoid gear oil like Lucas Oil a proper product to use? (assuming I have a limited Slip Diff which I have not verified yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Dan, did you get a chance to check the other wheel cylinder? Did it have water in it as well? It sounds to me like your rear end was submerged in water. You might want to check the differential as well. Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Dan, sorry, I forgot to say... you have a great looking car. I recommend getting the baseline maintenance stuff done and go drive it. Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 09:31 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum Dan, very nice car I vote keep it black/white, stunning combo. With the front disc's and drums operating and adjusted properly she will stop better than you might expect as long as your pulling enough vacuum (not too big of cam). Second time out after my resto wife was driving and some idiot decided to cut out in front of her to test mine, the car stopped dead straight Barely breaking grip on the tires. drive it and enjoy before you have to put her on blocks for re-hab...

post #13 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Hi Instg8ter, Thanks for the post... most my brake parts arrived today, the rest should be here Saturday... I hope to be back on the road early next week. Being in Ohio she's going into storage in late October so I want to get it going again before then and have some fun on the road.

The cam/vacuum shouldn't be a problem because the drive train and engine are all original.

Thanks again, Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
Welcome to the forum Dan, very nice car I vote keep it black/white, stunning combo. With the front disc's and drums operating and adjusted properly she will stop better than you might expect as long as your pulling enough vacuum (not too big of cam). Second time out after my resto wife was driving and some idiot decided to cut out in front of her to test mine, the car stopped dead straight Barely breaking grip on the tires. drive it and enjoy before you have to put her on blocks for re-hab...

post #14 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
well hopefully we will get an Indian summer, i am just north of Toledo in MI...hope to see you at the Dreamcruise next year.

post #15 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

It's on my list of things to do, car show wise. it's not too far from here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
well hopefully we will get an Indian summer, i am just north of Toledo in MI...hope to see you at the Dreamcruise next year.
post #16 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I also vote keep it black on white and cruise it till it needs paint then decide. Post some pics of your brake work this weekend! :beer:
post #17 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^^^^

Agreed! Black and white look "right" on that particular model. VERY NICE!!!
post #18 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

FlambeauHO, I didn't work on the car this weekend, all my parts didn't arrive yet - should be here tomorrow. As a result I went to the MOPAR "run what ya brung" races at a local drag track Saturday. One guy in a 10 second Dodge Dart tried using two fully open bottles of Nitrous and literally put her on the rear bumper before it came crashing back to earth!!! I'm betting he has to change his nickers after that!

I can't wait two weeks until the "It's still a win if you finish on your roof" races.

This week will be tear down and rebuild of the GTO brake system!!

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlambeauHO View Post
I also vote keep it black on white and cruise it till it needs paint then decide. Post some pics of your brake work this weekend! :beer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjones View Post
Agreed! Black and white look "right" on that particular model. VERY NICE!!!
post #19 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

OK, my first quandary... I can't find what axel this is... it certainly is not a GTO rear end. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Dan

I also started to docuent the brake system overhaul - disassembly - but the camera died... ugly can't hide from teh light of a camera flash.

The distribution block was not bolted to the frame... probably why it doesn't work any longer.

post #20 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan woodland View Post
OK, my first quandary... I can't find what axel this is... it certainly is not a GTO rear end. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Dan

I also started to docuent the brake system overhaul - disassembly - but the camera died... ugly can't hide from teh light of a camera flash.

The distribution block was not bolted to the frame... probably why it doesn't work any longer.

Show us a shot of the rear cover on that axle assembly Dan. Cover will identify it.

Distribution block doesn't "need" to be bolted to the frame to work although it's best that is should be secured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in