dan woodland, Nightshade 68 HO

75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Thanks ALKYGTO,

It's a 10 bolt with scallops on each side where the axle enters the diff.

My camera battery is charged, I'll post pictures tonight.

I did find ONE reference as a '69 Grand Prix SL 3.23 Non-slip on a defunct non-Pontiac site by ONE guy a number of years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

ALKYGTO,

Here is my diff cover... it has L10 stamped on it.

Thanks for the help. Dan
post #23 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok, today was reconnaissance/photo day... Rear brake "parts".

Rear distribution block.

Flex line connection.

This one will be fun...

Front brake parts to replace...

The new main distribution block came in last week.

Last edited by dan woodland; 09-18-2013 at 12:44 AM.

post #24 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

These all arrived in the last few days...

It's like my birthday is lasting all month long!!!

Shocks and ball joints...

Not sure why the rear brake lines didn't show today.

Radiator core support bushings, light gaskets, hood blanket and more... I'm also going to reinstall options removed many moons ago like the glove box and center console lights and vanity mirror. My tail lights leak so I'll replace those seals too.

Some light reading, I thought I was done with my education.

The new steering gear literally weighs 29 pounds!!

The wrong sway bar to body bushings were installed. I need to order the right ones. The correct one is on the right.

Need to order these too.

Last edited by dan woodland; 09-18-2013 at 12:45 AM.
post #25 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It is like xmas!, I had a room that was my shipping/receiving room because of all the parts. Probably spent 4k on shipping during the resto.. love the KYB gas-a-just shocks, they seem to handle great.
post #26 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
That ten bolt you have is a Pontiac 8.2. You'll have to take the cover off to determine the ratio, but if it were mine and had a ratio that I didn't want, I'd rebuild it with a new posi carrier and a 3.23:1 ratio.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #27 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlambeauHO View Post
It is like xmas!, I had a room that was my shipping/receiving room because of all the parts. Probably spent 4k on shipping during the resto.. love the KYB gas-a-just shocks, they seem to handle great.
Yes, I know what you mean... I ordered more small part last night having to pay more shipping from a place I just received parts from. I also do mini truck restoration parts so I have a basement full of parts for that, I will just add the GTO parts to the store room.

I've used the gas adjust on other cars and I like the ride so I figured they would be a good call on this car as well. It already has some KYB shocks on it but I'm betting they are shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
That ten bolt you have is a Pontiac 8.2. You'll have to take the cover off to determine the ratio, but if it were mine and had a ratio that I didn't want, I'd rebuild it with a new posi carrier and a 3.23:1 ratio.
Thanks for the ID chuckha62. I like your idea, I'll add that to the list of things to do after I'm done driving her (while deciding on a paint scheme and any other major $$ changes/upgrades).

I'll crack the case to fix the leak, I'll count teeth then.

Can you tell me the practical and performance difference between the two (8.2 and 3.23)?

Is it common to have a "different" rear end from the same era in a car that was advertised as all original? I know no one knows why it's there but I'm curious if it was common in the late 60s and 70s to swap out rear ends and why it may have been done with a car in such good shape (performance, gas mileage)???

Is a rebuild something I can do, I'm pretty handy, or should I have a shop do it?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm an analyst by trade and training.

Thanks in advance, Dan
post #28 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
8.2 refers to the ring gear diameter in inches. The "ten bolt" refers to how many bolts hold the ring to the carrier, not how many bolts hold the cover onto the housing. 3.23 refers to the gear ratio. If I recall correctly, you're running a 3.90:1 now. Great from stop light to stop light, but impossible to drive long distances on the freeway. 3.23:1 will give you a nice around town gear and you can drive all day at 65 MPH without buzzing the crap out of the engine. The Pontiac 400 makes plenty of torque down low, so 3.23 will still accelerate nicely for you. You'll need a new carrier to install 3.23's. If you run 3.42's, I believe you can run the carrier you currently have.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #29 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information chuckha62, I do appreciate it.

Gearing is a new arena for me so I'm looking to learn all about it. Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding of the "10 bolt" cover versus the ring bolt count.

She does okay from my first impressions/experience but I'll know more when I open the diff cover and count teeth and bolts.

I found this on-line... I don't know if it's accurate (yet) but it's a start...

Optimum Rear Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
8.2 refers to the ring gear diameter in inches. The "ten bolt" refers to how many bolts hold the ring to the carrier, not how many bolts hold the cover onto the housing. 3.23 refers to the gear ratio. If I recall correctly, you're running a 3.90:1 now. Great from stop light to stop light, but impossible to drive long distances on the freeway. 3.23:1 will give you a nice around town gear and you can drive all day at 65 MPH without buzzing the crap out of the engine. The Pontiac 400 makes plenty of torque down low, so 3.23 will still accelerate nicely for you. You'll need a new carrier to install 3.23's. If you run 3.42's, I believe you can run the carrier you currently have.
post #30 of 763 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There a two ways to determine rear gear ratios. 1 lift the tires off the ground, turn one revolution of the drive shaft and count how many times the right rear tire rotates (gives you a rough guess). 2 open the pumpkin and read the numbers off the ring gear and devide the numbers. In the pic below 39 devided by 11 = 3.55 gear ratio (tire turn 3 1/2 times for one turn of driveshaft). Hmm won't let me upload photo, I will try again later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in