User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Dan's Colo Restore Story

I thought I would start sharing my restoration story. I have a 67 GTO I purchased about a month ago. It has blue exterior, black interior, bench seat, automatic on the tree, PS, 4bbl, 2.93 posi, AC and that is about it. I bought it from the original owner and so far, it looks like everything is original. Even the keys I received from the seller have the numbers that match the PHS.

Before I started the disassembly, I took about 400 pictures to try to document every aspect of the car before I started pulling it apart. This car has had very little modification so I felt it was good to document as much as I could.

I then started the disassembly. So far, I have removed most of the brights, the front and rear glass, the back seat, head liner, and package tray.

I have found a few things I hoped I wouldn't find, but were expected. There was rust under the lower trim pieces and I also found that the driver's side front fender doesn't look original. I figured the fender wasn't original because there were not holes for both of the pins on the badge. The badge had one good pin (and fender hole) and the other one was cut off and the badge glued to the trim. I guess for a 50 year old car, I can't expect it all to be perfect.

I have found some technical things I will have questions about, but will post those separately when I get to them.

I have made a spreadsheet on an old computer I am keeping in my garage. I am numbering and labeling every part and taking pictures of the assemblies and sequences so I have something to refer to when I start reassembly. I am linking the folders for those pictures to the parts or the part assemblies.

I know people like to see pictures, so I have attached a few. I will post more pictures as I progress. Let me know if you would like to see any other specific ones.

Thanks,

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0041.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	46809   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0042.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	723.0 KB
ID:	46817   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5927.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	685.3 KB
ID:	46825  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Dan, looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for starting the thread. Look forward to watching your journey. Matt

post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome, and please DO keep us up to date as you progress.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 10:27 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Welcome aboard! That car, when done, will eat up the road with that gear and those options. 2.93 is my favorite gear for an automatic equipped GTO that is a driver. Looking forward to more pictures as you progress. Good luck with it.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 01:13 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Nice! Great to see another saved from the crusher!!

Keep the pictures coming, I look forward to seeing her back on the road.

Dan (me not you)
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 10:35 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am looking forward to following this thread on this project.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I am about to start tearing down the doors, but other items have slowed me a bit, not least of which is title issues. It doesn't look like anything serious. Just the hoops I have to jump through with an out of state title and that it was signed in the wrong place. Every time I talk to the DMV, I get a different answer. It is probably not that uncommon.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

I am making good progress on the disassembly. I have removed the back bumper, the gas tank, and the trunk lid. I will have to do some verification on the gas tank because it looks new. The person I worked with to buy the car said he had put in a new one. I will just need to verify that it is the correct one.

I also removed the old carpet and found a couple of surprises. First, when I removed the carpet, I found that the carpet had been replaced. That wasn't the surprise. The surprise was that when they replaced the carpet, they just sprayed adhesive over the old carpet and installed the new carpet over the top of it. Maybe it was to add extra strength to the rusted out floorboard .

I found the second surprise under the original carpet. It wasn't the protect-o-plate or the build sheet (I wish). It appears to be the back of the vehicle load sticker in the glove box. It has a date (7-5-66) and what appears to be a GM part number (#9773287). The company that made this is still in existence, so I sent them an email to ask about it. I haven't yet heard back.

I will be working on the dash next and then be looking to remove the front clip and hood. Then, I should be pretty close to separating the body from the frame. I have lined up the company that will do the stripping, so I am excited to get to that point.

I do have a question. Does anyone know of a good company that does chrome plating in the Denver area or along the front range? The old standby was Denver Bumper, but they have since closed.

I have added a few pictures. One thing you won't see often is there is no cut-out on the floor for a shifter as this is an automatic with the shifter on the "tree" and a bench seat. I also included a picture of that piece of paper that I found that looks like it is the sticker back. Has anyone else found anything like that? I suspect the installer just put on the sticker and then dropped the backing on the floor of the car before the carpet was installed.

I am still working on title issues, but the sellers have been great. They are just going to get a new title with only the surviving owner on it so she can sign it and the Colorado DMV won't have to ask for more legal documentation from them. I hope to get the final title in a few days.

Thanks,

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5999.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	48602   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6000.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	48610   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6001.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	48618   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6002.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	48626  
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Dan, looking good. Matt

post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

It has been a while since I posted but I have been making pretty steady progress. I am probably going to bribe some friends and family with a Bronco's party and get help removing the body from the frame to send off to blasting. I also sent the bumpers away today to be reconditioned. I will post pictures when I remove the body.

I do have a question. I had a body shop guy come out and take a look at my car today. In his defense, I did tell him he wouldn't get the car until I completed the rust repair, so he kind of had to use his imagination. That said, he said a rough ballpark estimate was going to be around $20k for just the fine body work and paint. The car is pretty straight so I don't expect too much work there. This seems very high to me. I have seen estimates for ALL the repairs (floor panels, trunk, quarters, body work and paint) for around that amount. What did others pay for similar work? Am I just suffering sticker shock and that is really what it will cost? I would appreciate your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in