• 1 Post By dd68gto
  • 1 Post By BLK69JUDGE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Disassembly do's and don'ts

As I start in earnest taking my '65 to the frame, outside of keeping fasteners and small parts bagged and tagged, is there anything else I should be sure not to overlook? I would welcome any thoughts any of you that have done this before can share.

I will be the first to say that organization isn't my best trait (my wife would definitely agree) but I have a feeling I'm going to have to tighten up as my son and I move forward on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Did this with my 68. With today's technology pictures and pictures and video and video . Best luck Doug
Goat Roper likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Cool Hello

Welcome to the crazeeness of a restoration ....

I will post first , a starting point, that will become a deep and hopefully a bonding time with you and your son..

I remember working with my dad on my 40 chevy coupe 14 years old in '74 , as some of the best times

with my pops ....

TAKE PICTURES ...if you think you took enuf you only took 1/3 of what you need ... good light ... close ups ...

from a distance ...

zip locks yes ... sandwich and gallon size ... 3 boxes each
sharpies .... black red and blue fat tip
removable 3m masking tape the green stuff easy to write on 2 or 3 rolls hide one for later
good 3m electrical tape a fresh roll for your tool box and use up the old stuff
more pictures ... pictures b4 you even start ... then more pictures... just because pictures....
never ever enuf pictures ...ever ....
gloves and hand cleaner and his own good set of safety glasses....

a bag of kitty litter

6 point sockets
cardboard to lay on ... work on ... make a mess on ..throw away when done.... I find nice card board stashes
at my local winshield installer 4'x5' boxes I just cut em down to size ....

a couple folding tables from craigs list ... with some card board on top

rags ......... hit a couple yard sales estate sales etc get towels etc ....

A quality drop light .... and quality extension cord ...

more card board .....get it now with good weather cut the boxes down flat into sheets store in the rafters

it will soon be rainny season and hard to find dry when you need it

a couple old thick moving blanets to throw around for your knees and padding in the car from the lumps n bumps

good lighting ALWAYS helps .......

a decent vise on a decent bench

more pictures ....

shelves ... build yourself some shelves ... or a shed ?

get stuff off the floor ... a decent floor jack ... a good large fire estinguisher ...

band aids ... fingernail brush .... boraxo .... propane heater .... a box fan ....

blocks of wood 2x8 2x 10 4x8 etc 14-16 "

plastic and metal drip pans .... gloves both nitrile and latex and rubberized ....

welcome to a life changing event .........

theres so much but safety as always is numero uno ..... fire estinguisher safety glasses gloves etc ...

Oh and of course your first car pictures need to be posted here first before anything else

hahaha

I miss pops .................

enjoy the special times and dont forget to take pictures ..............

Scott

GTO restoration guide

GM manuals body chassis service all 3 youlle be glad you did

a couple cans of Kroil rust penetrating spray
integrity6987 likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I purchase index cards in different colors in the largest size that fits in a quart size zipper bag. I also have a large stack in white. I use a sharpie to label the colored card and a pencil to draw a diagram on the white cards of sub assemblies when I think it might be confusing later. Things like which direction a fastener or clip goes, fastener type/qty etc. I also do my best to determine what the original finish might have been on each relevant item (cad, zinc dichromate, black oxid, natural, cast, etc and write that info down on the white card. The colored card is for a description of the part and I use one color for Left Door, another for Right door, another color for trunk parts etc. it really helps me later on when I am trying to find the correct bag. If blue is for under hood parts, then I can quickly spot the bags with blue cards and find my part easier.

When possible, reassemble the hardware in the piece that you removed. Helps to avoid the "which screw goes here?" question.

For things like heater boxes, dash assemblies, window regulators etc.....I cut up a piece of cardboard and draw a diagram of the area and then poke holes in the cardboard for the various fasteners. Things like nuts, washers and clips go in a zipper bag and then I tape it to the cardboard. Makes it real easy later on for reassembly.

Resist the urge to tumble, strip or wire wheel your fasteners until you are in re-assembly. Sometimes you need to study the witness marks on the parts to determine how things fit together....info that is erased once you clean the item so keeping it as it was removed is helpful later.

Hope some of this helps.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Donít tear down the sub-assemblies right away. Store them whole (if you have the room) until you are ready to work on them. If you do, it will be harder to remember how to put them back together. Examples of this are the dash, heating and A/C, even engine and drivetrain components.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
ohhh and did they say pictures...lots of pictures

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is great. The only thing I'm confused about right now is the number of pictures I should take.

Speaking of which, here are a few pics of what I'm starting with. The car is in my 24'x24' shop, well out of the weather. I just need to stop making sawdust and change gears (pun intended) to taking this beast apart. Gotta clean up that left side. Need shelves. At least 3 sets of big'ns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	114491   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	114493   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	114495   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	114497  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Good close up pics of all areas (interior front/back, headliner, dash, door panels), trunk, engine compartment, underside, etc. Once your finished it shows your accomplishments from what you started with. Before and after pics.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Be sure to back up your pictures and videos incase you loose or break your your phone. Speaking from experience.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I figure you have one but I have s 65 service manual and will sell it to you cheap. I sold my 65 20 years ago . This is a real 65 not a reprint that is all there including oil stains. Pm me . It's just collecting dust, Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in