User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do I dare drive this 70'

Here is my dilemma:

My father has given me this car that he purchased new. Its a 1970 GTO Red/Red, 4 speed, 18,241 miles, wipers have never been on, stored inside a climate controled building for its entire life. Never been painted, orig. spark plugs, orig. cardboard floor mats from first state bank thanking him for his loan, ect.. The other odd thing about this car is that at the time he purchased it a slacker kid worked at the dealership and would take your new car out and beat on it as part of the dealer prep. Knowing this he met the truck at dealership and unloaded it himself and drove it home without being dealer preped. Because of this the underhood area is filled with little tags that the dealer should have removed when they serviced or inspected each item on the list.

What should I do? Drive it? Sell it? Hang onto it even longer?

Does anyone have any idea whats this car is curently worth?

I just noticed that the hood is not completly closed in the second pic. The bat cable is removed each time and we simply backed it out for these pics and to let it run a few min.

My Father at the wheel

Last edited by Seven3smoke; 03-11-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 04:41 PM
REX

IMHO, contact an auction house, or hold onto it until the next big boom, and that may be awhile.

Sad, but true, every additional mile you put on it at this point diminishes it's value!! You'd be crazy to take it out on the street!~
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well your into it for nothing -so drive it and if you want to sell it at a later date its all profit
although I WOULD wait untill the snow is gone

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It's value to the purist would be immense. Those looking to restore their car to factory original need only look at your car to see what's 100% correct. This could be one of those cars that sell for crazy money at BJ.
If it's at all possable for you to keep the car in it's currant state yourself, that's what I would do. I would not drive it.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Sound advise from the above posts. If it has sentimental value, and you don't need the $$$, keep it. If you want to have a GTO to drive and enjoy, sell it when prices go back up (they will), and use the money to buy a vacation house AND a driver GTO!!! As well preserved as this car appears, every mile will detract value. It's an historical artifact, and should be preserved as such.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:01 PM

wow, that is awesome. especially for a ND car. My galaxie lived its life in fargo, and Valley City. Just do whatever feels right, but keep in mind that car could go for loads of money. Seems like you've been doing everything right so far, so keep it up. If you don't mind, wereabout in North Dakota are you?

1966 GTO bored 389 Tri-Power, Powerglide(#'s Match)

{GTO, Lariat, Galaxie, Glastron, & Yamaha} -Tyler-
PURDUE AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 AM
GTOAA 04-06 Technical Advisor

The real question here is why did your Dad give it to you? What are his expectations of your actions? He may intend for you to enjoy it so selling it would just make you seem greedy, after all, he could have sold it too.
Treat it like any other antique. Take it to some shows.......
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko91 View Post
Take it to some shows.......
I hate to say it, but this might be one of the only reasons for a car to be a trailer queen. I might take it to some shows, but I sure woudn't dirve it there unless it was just across town.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Giving it some more thought, I think that if I were in your shoes, I would drive it some. Not a lot, but maybe 500-1000 miles a year. My reasoning is, you only live once. Your dad drove it a bit less than 2500 miles a year for 39 years. If you did the same, YOUR kid could inherit a like-new, 78 year old 1970 GTO with ONLY 34k on the clock....still a basically "new" car, wear and tear-wise. Bottom line, you're in a great position, and you have a LOT of choices, all of them GOOD!!!
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Former Super Moderator

If he did drive it, those factory tags left on under the hood won't last long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in