Factory paint: did the dash color match the exterior color? - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedo51 View Post
I'm restoring a 65 GTO to the specs used when it rolled off the assembly line (have PHS docs).

I'm painting it with a factory scheme and factory colors (correct semi-gloss black on pan, factory color chip for exterior, factory spatter paint in trunk, etc.)

The paint shop is trying to convince me that the dash should be a different color than the exterior - that it should match the interior color (upholstery/door panels). I suspect they are confusing some other GM car, like a Chevelle with my Pontiac project.

Do you any of you have a restoration guide, and could you tell me whether the dash is supposed to be a color other than the color of the exterior?

FWIW - the exterior is Blue Charcoal Poly and the interior upholstery will be Black.

Thanks
Tim
your body shop is correct, Pontiac never painted the metal dash and door trim the exact same color as the body. It may have been a coordinating color but never the same paint as the body. for example, almost all cars with a parchment interior had black dash and door trim. I had a charcoal blue lemans that had a coordinated blue dash and door trim, but it was not the same as the body color, the interior paint work had no metallic in it like the exterior and was not exactly the same color, even if you took out the metallic and flattened the paint. I took the factory color glove box to a paint shop and they could find nothing that matched. I have not been able to find anywhere the correct paint codes for the dash and metal trim on the doors. Your ID tag will give you the exterior paint code and the color of the upholstery trim, but not the paint code for the interior metal work. I believe that the factory simply had a matching,coordinating color for the interior dash and metal work to the upholstery color.
also, the firewall and floor pans were a 0 degree gloss black, not a semi gloss. Eastwood has what is closest to the firewall and floor colors. On my 65 charcoal blue, the blue interior looked really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In 1965 the dash did not match the exterior color. The front on the dash is a Low luster semi-gloss black. The top of the dash is flat black with a texture to it, almost like a fine sand. I bought the correct paint from guy in VA who is a top Mopar restorer. I don't remember his contact info, but he said the GTO and some Mopars used this same paint, which he custom mixes. I guess you can just use flat black, but it's not totally correct.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW my interior is parchment and exterior is nightwatch blue. My factory interior door upper and pilar color is off white. I found that Ford used this same off color called Wimbledon white, which was easier to locate.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I have an original blue charcoal 66 GTO. My dash is painted black. I believe the other option would be a blue Charcoal. I have black interior that is the seats ,the headliner and the rugs are all black.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Would you consider selling that book to me? I have been looking for it and no one seems to have it.

If not a sale, would you be open to scanning it into pdfs and letting me pay you for your time.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyskala View Post
Would you consider selling that book to me? I have been looking for it and no one seems to have it.

If not a sale, would you be open to scanning it into pdfs and letting me pay you for your time.
Send me a PM to discuss. I did find it for sale but at $200. $50 would be a more reasonable figure especially since most all the info is available via other sources. Still, it's nice to have all compiled in a single reference so it's worth having.

Is there a Library sub forum here? Maybe the better idea is to scan and post the images in a library and others can use for reference.

Moderators.....any possibilities on this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
From some book that I picked up years ago... don't remember where though?
Here are the 64 colors.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This is great info, I am having the same problem with my 1967 Pontiac Le Mans. Is there any way possible that you can help me with the paint code and trim info for my car? Can you possibly post the interior and exterior paint codes for 1967? here is my cowl tag info!

ST 67-23707 PON 2776 BODY
TR 220-3 L-L PAINT

4-2D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in