First time I've posted about my restore.... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First time I've posted about my restore....

.....and I'm well into it. Here are some pics of my 1967 GTO restore. It started life as a '67 base and I didn't get an original motor or rear end. I'm not doing a concours resto, just a "nice" frame off. I have a '73 455, it is a 4 speed car, and thankfully spent most of it's life in California. Just this weekend I lifted the body off the frame so I can clean it up underneath and do a total redo of the chassis. The finished product will be a 1967 GTO with a 455, aluminum heads, 17" aluminum rallye's, maybe vintage air, in the original Turqoise/Turqoise color scheme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto trailer.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	52185   Click image for larger version

Name:	resto floors.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	52193   Click image for larger version

Name:	resto frame off 1.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	52201   Click image for larger version

Name:	resto frame off 2.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	52209  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Looks like a great project. The body looks like it is in great shape. We are at about the same point in our restores. Mine is also a turquoise 67, but black inside. I have quite a bit of rust repair to do.

Mine is all matching numbers, so I will (hopefully) be sticking to the 400/TH400.

I look forward to watching your progress.
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado67GTO View Post
Looks like a great project. The body looks like it is in great shape. We are at about the same point in our restores. Mine is also a turquoise 67, but black inside. I have quite a bit of rust repair to do.

Mine is all matching numbers, so I will (hopefully) be sticking to the 400/TH400.

I look forward to watching your progress.
My floors are real nice. What is showing in the pic is after I wire wheeled and painted them. The outside of the body needs some wheel well and back window work. Trunk is solid. Since my interior is turquoise I considered changing the outside to silver because I thought turquoise/turquoise was odd. Now I've decided it's a pretty cool interior color and I'm going to go with it. Mainly I just hate trying to spell turquoise.......

Are there any pics of your restore on the forum?

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Here is my member introduction with a picture of how it looked when I bought it. It also tells a little more about the car.

https://www.gtoforum.com/f36/another-...olorado-74986/

Here is my restore story thread

https://www.gtoforum.com/f83/dans-col...e-story-76209/
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado67GTO View Post
Here is my member introduction with a picture of how it looked when I bought it. It also tells a little more about the car.

https://www.gtoforum.com/f36/another-...olorado-74986/

Here is my restore story thread

https://www.gtoforum.com/f83/dans-col...e-story-76209/
Nice, air car! Looks like you're a little further along than me but close. My goal is to have the main body back on the refurbed chassis by April? Then I'll start on upgrading to front discs and get started on rebuilding the motor. Good Luck, keep them pics coming! I'll let you stay slightly ahead so I can take advantage of your discoveries.
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Cleaned underbody

The worst job of all is done. I wire wheeled the entire underbody of my '67. Floors are in unreal condition. Solid. Now final clean, prep, and paint. No more stuff falling in my face.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gto underneath small.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	52369  
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Nice work. So are you doing an epoxy primer? Matt

post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Nice work. So are you doing an epoxy primer? Matt
Nope, just cleaning with alcohol and painting with a black truck bed liner paint. Used it previously, has a nice texture. The car will never see any weather. Not a concours, just a very nice driver.
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Welcome!

Interesting... It looks like it started down the path to being painted Montreaux Blue by looking at the complete coverage of the floors. Clearly, the inside of the panel are Turquoise though. Gotta like the rust free cars! I have one and I'm thankful for that every time I look at it.

I take it by your user name you're into Corvairs. Whatcha got? I grew up with them and have owned a couple myself. I have a soft spot for them!

Chuck

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
Welcome!

Interesting... It looks like it started down the path to being painted Montreaux Blue by looking at the complete coverage of the floors. Clearly, the inside of the panel are Turquoise though. Gotta like the rust free cars! I have one and I'm thankful for that every time I look at it.

I take it by your user name you're into Corvairs. Whatcha got? I grew up with them and have owned a couple myself. I have a soft spot for them!

Chuck
The car is actually Turquoise/Turquois. I bought interior paint for the floors and it's way off. For the stuff that actually shows I'm going to have to get more serious. I found something that matches a little better.

When I was 16 I had a 1963 turbochgarged Corvair Spyder and a 1964 GTO. That was 40 years ago. Last summer I finished my '65 140 Corsa resto (pictures attached), and now I'm doing this GTO. And they say you can't go back!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cosra done.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	52385   Click image for larger version

Name:	finsihed eng.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	52393   Click image for larger version

Name:	finsihed int 1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	52401  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in