going "Old School" with the tach... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
going "Old School" with the tach...

decided to putz around with the old auto shift column today after hooking up and adjusting the cable for the console shifter. Made the decision a while back that i was not gonna swap it, seemed silly to throw $300.00 at it just to get one with out the shift lever lug. I punched out the pin for the handle and to my surprise the notch was just a bit narrower then the hub on my old Sun Tach. I did not want to do the old pipe clamp it to the column thing as it would not look finished, but after i measured the hub and opening i grabbed the die grinder and shaved off some from the tach got it to press fit in nice and snug and drilled the hole just a touch bigger and the pin even tapped back through. I have a guy engraving me a "Tempest" plexi insert for the old shift indicator as i love the art deco look of it....Tempestien will live again.... :grin: (Housing blue or black????)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i like it. i think keeping it black is the way to go. im pondering where to put mine but i think its going in the clock hole. the shifter thing is neat but im still using mine.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 AM

I like it too, AMERICAN INGENUITY at it's best!! Good job and hey the ash tray looks good too!! Thanks for the post I really enjoy a good invention...Les

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 AM

"I have a guy engraving me a "Tempest" plexi insert for the old shift indicator"

Oh yes we will need a pic post of that also when you get her done!! Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Thanks Les, was hoping you would look in to see the ashtray, adjusted it prior to the pic so it fit nice....lol. I will post when i get the badge done for the indicator. Tach actually looks pretty good lines right up over my Dummy light hole, and just appears to float there as you cannot see how it is mounted.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Clean install. Excellent!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in