1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rusty2010

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
GTO engine options

I'm replacing the wiring harnesses in my 1967 GTO I've got a 400 CID with factory air. I noticed I need to know if I have ram air, high output and transistor ignition to order the engine compartment harness. How do I tell if I have those option is it by the VIN number?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:02 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty2010 View Post
I'm replacing the wiring harnesses in my 1967 GTO I've got a 400 CID with factory air. I noticed I need to know if I have ram air, high output and transistor ignition to order the engine compartment harness. How do I tell if I have those option is it by the VIN number?
You can't. You should be familiar enough with your car/GTO's in general to answer what you ask. A 1967 Service Manual is a real help for such things. Several good books on GTO's will also point out these differences.

I suggest you get the PHS documents for your car which will tell you what your car was originally ordered with from the factory. Important documents to verify your car.

Transistor Ignition was not common, points are what you most likely have unless someone had converted to electronic ignition.

HO would be evident by the large header type exhaust manifolds.

Ram Air would also be evident by the large header type exhaust manifolds and the special tub that sits on the carb and seals it to the hood - with the hood scoop being open.

Both of these options are not commonplace.

IF you decide to add aftermarket Ram Air/HO exhaust manifolds, then you may want to plan ahead for this as the engine compartment wiring to the starter is a little different.

You can also use the Google Custom Search in the upper right to search through past discussions to get a better idea of what these terms you ask of are about.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks PontiacJim, From what you wrote and info I've gotten from others I think I know I have a stock V8
PontiacJim likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in