I can use these....right? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can use these....right?

Front control arm from the '66 - they're both like this. For future reference, is that the prescribed method for changing the front shocks, a cutting torch and a box end wrench?? Never mind the rusted out bushing housing Damn things aren't cheap!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	control_Arm.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	10795  

Chris
Denver, CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Don't use it......get another one or pair....that one is an accident waiting to happen!!!!!!!!! Eric

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegangler View Post
Front control arm from the '66 - they're both like this. For future reference, is that the prescribed method for changing the front shocks, a cutting torch and a box end wrench?? Never mind the rusted out bushing housing Damn things aren't cheap!
With all due respect to Eric, it may be ok. Can't tell from the photo so you'll need to pay lots of attention to its overall condition.

Those cutouts may be there because the previous owner was running some larger than stock front shocks that were either single-adjustable or double-adjustable. I've installed some Strange Engineering adjustable front shocks on my 69, and in order to install them the front control arms had to be cut, much like the one you have. Otherwise it would have been impossible to install the shock because the adjusting knob and larger shock body would have never fit through the stock opening in the bottom of the control arm. Strange supplied templates and instructions on how to make the cuts.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

The shocks I pulled out of there were Pep Boys cheapest. The drivers side control arm is rusted through where the bolt / bushing are. If i'm buying 1 , might as well make it a pair. Just wondering if you guys had seen this before..

Chris
Denver, CO
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegangler View Post
The shocks I pulled out of there were Pep Boys cheapest. The drivers side control arm is rusted through where the bolt / bushing are. If i'm buying 1 , might as well make it a pair. Just wondering if you guys had seen this before..
The part that I see rusted through in your photo is the part of the bushing. If you replace the bushing, you'll be replacing the rusted out part. But, to answer your question - the only time I've ever seen something like that done to control arms was when I did it myself --- to install those shocks -- as recommended by the manufacturer.

If that's the only place you've got any significant rust, and if the metal is sound and "thick" everywhere else, they're fine.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bear - hadn't given them a close enough look, i guess!

Chris
Denver, CO
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
look okay to me. new oval bushings come with new sleeves all ready to go. should make it easier to change out bushings. early control arms had small opening for skinny shock. Later around 68, opening was larger so a bigger body shock was used. if going to buy new arms in the future, chevelle ones are cheaper and use round bushings, not that odd ball oval. Of course, not concours correct on a 66.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Bear, no offense taken! E

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in