User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love getting ripped off

Here's the story:
I needed to get 4 wheels sandblasted for the goat cuz they were pretty rusty. I called a local sandblaster and the guy gave me a quote of "45 min to an hr. per wheel @ $20/hr." He calls me back an 1/2 hr later and wants to know if I can get him some new sand cuz the old stuff is almost too fine of a powder to use anymore and he doesn't have anyone to get him some new sand (the guy is retired and disabled). So I went and got 5 100 lbs. (@ $50 total) bags of sand with the goat and took him the sand and my wheels. When he saw my wheels, he said "I thought these were regular steel wheels. They're gonna take a little longer, maybe 1 1/2 hr. per wheel." No problem. 1.5x4x6x$20=$120-the $50 for the sand=$70, right? It's reasonable that one would be led to believe that even with a little unforeseen labor (which we all know happens), that the amount still owed shouldn't be much more than $100. I figured that's decent enough, and if they weren't perfect, I could finish then up with my wire brush assortment and some alcohol.
Well, the sandblaster called me this morning to tell me that he'd finished them and that he'd actually spent 24 hrs on the whole set, but he was only going to charge me for 16 hrs. making my current bill $320 (,). Then he had the gall stones to ask me "is that gonna be alright?"
Hell no it's not gonna be alright, you monkey bastard! How do you estimate someone at around 1.5 hrs per wheel and then charge them 4 hrs per wheel. And then you want me to give you a good recommendation to everyone I know?!?! You're f'n nuts!! But I guess I don't have much of a choice, seein as he's holding my wheels for ransom. If I'd know he was gonna rape me like this, I'd have saved myself $100 and bought a cheapo, ready to run blasting cabinet from Harbor Freight. Even if it only worked for this one job, I still would have saved a load of money. I'm telling you... The government needs to start issuing @sshole hunting licenses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Tell him that is a fare price, BUT the sand was $50.00 and a
$300.00 delivery charge.
See how he likes that.

Larry

2005 GTO Quick - 1984 Honda V65 Magna Quicker - 2004 Z06 Quickest
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
$320? Seriously? I'd take a $100 bill and a six pack over there and get your wheels, this guy went way over both his estimates, not your problem if he does'nt know how to quote a job.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I like the delivery charge idea. Just tell him "fine, and when I come to pick them up I'll give you an invoice for the delivery charge on the sand.", but don't tell him for how much until you see his bill for the wheels.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Garage
Retired and disabled, but has the integrity to spend 6 hours per rim! Sandblasting sucks, I can't see anyone doing that. I hate people that think they have to make there million on one job. Who works for $20 an hour? Is he doing it from his house? Is he a legal business, because you can show up with the cops.. Or some big buddies for pressure.
I would go there, get my rims, and when he tries to chase you throw a crowbar into the spokes of his wheel chair!
I hate bad business and sorry you are in this situation, some people suck..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If he spent 6 hours per rim sandblasting, there shouldn'd be any rims left!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
If he spent 6 hours per rim sandblasting, there shouldn'd be any rims left!!
That's what I thought. And I do like the delivery charge on the sand idea.

Honestly though, anybody on here have a rough idea form previous experience as to how long it takes to blast a rally 2 wheel inside and out? They had a little scale on them but nothing serious, mostly just bubbling paint and a lot of surface rust.

As for the $20/hr, there's a guy about 20 mi. from me that charges $50/hr and the professional blaster in the area charges $22/hr and is usually pretty backed up from what I hear.

I mean, I don't mind leaving a fat tip if the guy does a decent job and gets it done on time, but taking twice as long as agreed and charging triple from the original estimate is just as painful as sticking that blast nozzle up my rear end and pulling the trigger.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
So is this some guy out of his house with a Harbor Frieght $15 sandblaster? Hells yeah it would take a while but still not 6 HOURS PER WHEEL. That's just nutty. Proffesional quality sandblaster would wipe those wheels clean in about 2 minutes tops. I cleaned mine in a blast cabinet and it took maybe 15 minutes. Painted em and now they are sitting in my basement.

You should run some aftermarket rims anyway, they look better and you can put real tires on them Oh No!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 09:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
You should run some aftermarket rims anyway, they look better and you can put real tires on them Oh No!
LOL, I'm with you.. Stockers are in the shed. You can't get any decent meats for 14's. You can run 15's on the rear and put some meat on and still look stock. I don't like the stock look with all that excess wheel well, looks like your running donuts. Muscle cars need to look muscular. Just my .02..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 10:22 AM

sorry about the lesson. a professional sandblaster could do the whole thing in about half an hour. still would charge $10-20 per wheel.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in