User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's only a LeMans

Hello,

I've been lurking the past few days after finding this site while trying to dig up some info on my car. I own the car pictured below an will likely begin working on it in the coming fall (I'm presently trying to finish up a '50 chevy pickup). My mother ordered this car from a local dealer in '64 and we've had it ever since. In '84 it was side swiped pretty badly (drivers side door and quarter) and then stuck in an old shed in hopes of someday finding a donor car. Of course 26 years later it needs a little more than just a new side now, but I did find a donor car. A GTO of all things.

Anyway, I plan on sticking around and asking questions here and there, but I had one major question. Is it ok that "It's only a LeMans" and doesn't have the quintessential three little letters attached to it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:22 PM

Just a LeMans is the same as saying just a GTO!! You do know the 64 & 65's GTO's were options on the LeMans. So Car is LeMans first GTO 2nd. The GTOAA even as a LeMans class at the National Conventions. Welcome to the forum and ask away!!!!!!!Les
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
+1 if there were no Tempest/Lemans there would be no GTO. and restoring it gives you a few more liberties to modify it without effecting the value drastically as in a numbers GTO. I Like that we are seening more lemans and Tempest restored instead of becoming parts cars, from what i can tell they seem to be the rarer car these days. A GTO in the original barn find condition my Tempest was in when i got it would have cost me 4 times as much. Out with the 326 in with the 462....lol, "Just a Tempest!!!!" Welcome to the forum, you will find lottsa help and encouragement here...

and they will know when they see you coming that it "just an old PONTIAC" and that alone should strike fear into them.

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A Z28 is still a Camaro, which is even more accurate in your years before the GTO became a model in opposed to an option as previously mentioned.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Well good. I figured an eyebrow or two would raise when I said I was going to cut up a GTO optioned car to save a LeMans.

Although, only three of you have replied. I'm sure there are still a few out there thinking "WHAT???".

Thanks for the welcome.
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Garage
Post up some pics of both cars. Do you have a title for the GTO parts car? I love the Lemans, I am also a Lemans guy, so welcome! Where are you from to have a Lemans that clean, is the GTO as good body wise? My body guy could fix your quarter.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

I'm in Southern Idaho. High desert country similar to Nevada, so it's very dry. There is zero rust on the LeMans, and the parts car consists of only a shell sitting on a blank frame, with no title.

The parts car frame has the rear end (which I am keeping but I still don't know the numbers for it yet) and power steering stuff and nothing else. I simply need the door post out off it and that's all.

Thankfully, I have a great body guy who has gone over both cars making sure I have everything I need to get started. Thanks though!
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTown View Post
Anyway, I plan on sticking around and asking questions here and there, but I had one major question. Is it ok that "It's only a LeMans" and doesn't have the quintessential three little letters attached to it?
Welcome! Yeah, sorry - no value at all in a Lemans. You need to get rid of it asap ---- soon as I get my trailer hooked up I'll be happy to help you with that, where exactly are you again?

Seriously --- good luck. When you get ready to build a motor for it, give a holler on here to Mr. P-Body. The man knoweth much of that about which he speaketh.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
My Tempest came outta Idaho near Boise, most of what i thought was rust on the frame was caked red dust from 35 years sitting in a carport, no rust on the body and pans am doing body now, so glad i dont have to deal with panel patches and replacement, ironing out the waves from a run away jack inside the trunk has been work enough for me. Buddy uses a two by six and L shaped threaded rod to pull out dents like that, coolest trick, welds them to the ridge line every few inches then cuts 2x6 wide enough to bridge to the good non dented panels at each side, drills for the rods then uses a nut and washer on every rod to pop the panel back have seen him repair some major cave ins that way. Necessity is the mother of invention. keep us posted
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

I am just outside of Boise, 20 minutes West in Nampa.

My plans are to get it back on the road in full stock trim for now. It's a 2 barrel 326 with a 3 speed and power steering. No other important options. Montero red with parchment interior, as you can see. Once I get the body damage taken care of and restore the interior it should be good to go. There is nothing wrong with the engine other than it needing to be gone through and freshened back up.

Then, over time, I'm going to start collecting parts. I want a 400 (and would buy one at any time actually) in it, I'll likely use the factory 12 bolt rear end out of my donor car for it, and any other suspension goodies that grab my attention.

First things first though, finding out everything I need to get it back on the road, where to get it, and make sure I go about doing it right.

I'll put some other pics up later today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in