Just bought a 64 need opinions - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rustygoat64's restoration thread

Just bought this 64 with about 130,000 miles on it. I don't want to make this a show car, kind of wanting to paint it black and add black carpet and some other interior parts from year one. Not really looking to use only original parts. I know this pictures don't show much but I am just wondering what I am getting into. A guy quoted me 4500-9500 to sandblast everything and replace some pf the panels but I am kind of wanting to get it painted and bondoed so it looks good and runs. He mentioned some overheating and when I bought it the vacuum hose going under the carb ( yellow arrow ) he had disconnected and I don't know if it is to combat the heating issue or what. When the hose was off smoke was creeping out of the small air filters but stopped as soon as I connected it. Like I said I don't want to spend a fortune on it but I don't know if that's the only thing that can be done.

IMG_0391 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
IMG_0392 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
IMG_0396 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
IMG_0393 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
IMG_0386 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
IMG_0406 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
IMG_0402 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
IMG_0416 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
IMG_0397 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
IMG_0400 by trueblu2317, on Flickr

Last edited by rustygoat64; 05-09-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

IMG_0414 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
IMG_0385 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
IMG_0390 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
IMG_0408 by trueblu2317, on Flickr
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
that car deserves the utmost respect n TLC . if I just bought it, id be pulling the motor n dropping it off at the body shop painting it the original color.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm View Post
that car deserves the utmost respect n TLC . if I just bought it, id be pulling the motor n dropping it off at the body shop painting it the original color.

If it were mine and the dates, numbers and PHS match, I would do a complete frame off nut and bolt restoration, my goal would be to restore her back to the original show room condition.

Just my humble opinion,

Randy

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a pretty solid foundation, original paint and a four speed console to boot. With your first quote you have got a good idea what your in for, 5000.00 spread, meaning when he gets into it he would expect to (and probably will) find more under the surface. From what the pictures show you will need some new channels welded in around the rear wind screen. Top of the passengers side quarter may need a patch where the duct tape is. hopefully the rockers and lower quarters and fenders are just surface rust, but patches can be fabbed easy enough for those and welded in. Legendary makes the best repop seat covers, expect to be into the interior for a few grand with someone installing it.

It's possible to do a nice job with the body left on, but the frame will be harder to blast and paint. I would start by power washing/steam cleaning it. It looks like it was undercoated so you may find that you can spot touch-up any areas of bare metal rust with epoxy paint after sandblast to seal it and apply undercoating where they missed from the dealership. Mine looked similar to yours and i found that most of what looked like rust was red clay dust from sitting for 30 years in a carport in Idaho. The way I look at it, if it has protected your frame from rust for 50 years why spend all the time and energy to scrape it off so you can eat off your frame?

You will want to make the suspension and brakes safe before hitting the road. Now for the single most expensive part...body and paint. Not unheard of to get bids in the 8-15,000 range for good body and paint, especially Black as it shows any imperfections in the body work. If you have access to the tools , plenty of time and some shop space you can do it yourself for a couple thousand. I did mine after seeing what others were bid and hearing the horror stories of cars lost in limbo at the body shop. All in all if you can do most of the work yourself your looking at 20K+ to restore one to good driver condition, add another 30-50% if you have to pay someone to do the work. They aren't cheap but they are a hell of a lot of fun.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 05:46 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Man you are miles ahead of me having a complete running car. You won't have to spend big bucks finding correct parts. I would plan to do a mechanical overhaul/check before I delve into body and paint so you can enjoy it a little and see exactly what needs fixing. You can start purchasing any panels needed or order up that interior kit while you do this. Once it is apart, you may find yourself in a full blown frame off....for example, you pull the fenders and expose the cowl, hmmm maybe they are rotted out, pull up the carpet, hmm maybe those floor pans are too soft etc.

I am just adding to the advice given above. I have learned a lot buy watching the Paintucation videos and Craig Hopkins videos to the point I did my own sandblasting and frame/suspension rebuild and I learned to weld. Restoring a car is a marathon and not a sprint, hence I always have one car to drive for fun and one car to restore....

Anthony

Welcome to the forum! I dig 64s and I would repaint it factory color
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. The previous owner had it for 21 years and only put 8000 miles on it and it runs pretty strong right now. Just had the brakes done so driving wise it is good. I wondered about having to match interior with the black maybe it is a better idea to just keep the original color. We will see what happens when I start getting in to it, I will keep everyone posted.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Everything matches I have the original documents and about 1/2" thick of other documentation. I did notice the front passenger panel sticks out a little and the paint is slightly different on the doors than rest of the body so it has been painted but still the original saddle bronze. It was probably in a minor accident but I'm not sure. I will have to sort through all the papers to see if anything is in there.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:21 PM

Just my opinion but I would leave it just how it is ( stop the rust ) . I love seeing an old car with all of its old stories still intact. The only reason I primered mine white is because it was primer grey. I understand this is hard to do, it is the all mighty '64. A full restore would be nice, in the original color. Haven't seen many that color.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 PM

rustygoat64 see that's not what I see. I can see what will she become after you save her. You need to change your name already. Looks like a great start. All there and the 1st year of the GTO to boot. You do need to restore her back to the original!!!!!!!!! Those spinner wheel covers are one of the best looking wheel covers ever made!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in