Let the wet sanding begin... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Let the wet sanding begin...

temp got up to around 60 today so i laid on a few more coats of high build and guide coated the whole car with 180 laser straight, shot one more heavy coat to wet sand out. Also got my trunk battery set up finished and ready for install. have work the rest of the week so motor may be going in this weekend so if i ding it i can still touch up before paint. Getting closer.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I HATE SANDING !!!!!!!.....looking good bro. post some pics while you are blocking it out! Eric

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hell yeah!! good job. Nice to see it in primer..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

hard sanding is all done E, guide coated it all after two double wet coats and started sanding a quarter to see how it looked. Well once i started there was no way i was gonna leave it a blotchy mess any longer so i buckled down and got-r-done. hopefully get motor in this weekend and work on the wetsanding a panel at a time back to front at my leisure, hoping to get it in color by the end of the month and start re-assembly on schedule for May driving season...have just kept telling myself what i tell my re-modeling customer when i am demo'ing their kitchen...have to make it look like crap before i can make it look pretty. Yes Jet it's great to see it all back in one color at least, body line all straight and sharp, got that door cowl gap back in spec, cannot wait to see it in the Bahama Blue, should pop nice....i will take a vid if we get the motor up and running, installed the 2 1/2" exhaust over the weekend, i always notice when the tailpipes look off kilter on the 66-67's, i like them to be right below the reverse lights, never realized what a pain in the A** it would be to get them straight and even. What kinda tips are you guys planing on using?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
It is true....They do look worse before they look better!! I am going with headers 2 or 2 1/8 primaries into 3 1/2" collectors.....3"pipes, muffs, 3"tails to "splitter tips" like on a 65 GTO........thats the plan anyway....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bodymockup 003.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	10778  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

i like the splitters down tips also E, unique to Pontiacs
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 PM

come on. make that extra step. take the mirror off. that will be a spot that will be difficult to shoot around. also take some 2/4 pieces and wedge the trunk hinge down. they will get in the way of shooting inside the rear window sail panel.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post
come on. make that extra step. take the mirror off. that will be a spot that will be difficult to shoot around. also take some 2/4 pieces and wedge the trunk hinge down. they will get in the way of shooting inside the rear window sail panel.
I'm sure he hasn't just got there yet, work is work and everything takes time.. Nice progress!!

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Yes Free those Details will be taken care of, was not planning on spraying it when i got up as our weather here has been all over the map, but i decided to take advantage of a narrow window, and had to bust A** to mask, spray 2-coats, guide and block, and spray again in a 6 hour span as i am a one man show on this one. And the mirror is un mounted and when i sprayed it i pulled it away and hung it from a wire on the ceiling.....thanks for the suggestions. I do realize i am not a pro and am just trying to give myself every chance of having a "good" job on it with my limited experience and conditions. It's not a 6000.00 paint job for the simple reason i don't have 6k to throw at it and the whole rest of the car has only about that much into it....it is by all accounts a "budget Build" so what if it ends up a 10 footer, It's MY 10 footer and i can blame no one but the guy who did all the work...ME! Find that much more rewarding than throwing 20 thousand at a car that at best will be worth 10-12 and having no connection to it other than writing a check and pressing the gas pedal....

Last edited by Instg8ter; 04-06-2011 at 07:00 AM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Looks good man!!
Are you planning on running two batteries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in