Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Limited slip

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  geeteeohguy 
#1 ·
Anyone know of an inexpensive limited slip unit I can put in my 10 bolt? Remember that I am not racing or looking for anything crazy just an inexpensive unit.

#4 ·
Cheapest would be to find a used limited slip carrier, need to know what gear you have in it now to see which series carrier you will need to find. still talking around 500-750 with carrier, ring gear and pinion (if you change gearing), install kit and bearings.

#5 ·
Or go with an Auburn LSD unit. Strong or stronger than stock, and reasonable ($400-$800. If it were me, I'd be scouring Craigslist for a good used 8.2 unit. I was given an 8.2 posi out of a '69 for free.....because it was a 2.56 ratio. (which I wanted to run, anyway). You never know.

#6 ·
I bought this one from a guy on Performance Years forum for $800, 68 GTO Nodular 4 pinion with 3:55 gears, exactly what I was looking for. For the first time in 30 years I will have the rear end and gear ratio this car is supposed to have. Don't even have to clean it or paint it.

Attachments

#10 ·
I have seen innumerable drop in LSD units in the 400 dollar range, I just wanted to see if there were any other alternatives as my project is already over budget. It will have to wait with some other items such as the small chrome parts. Thanks for the input.

#11 ·
I don't think it simply drops in. You need someone that knows how to set up a rear end. I had a local shop quote me around $1000 to put an Eaton unit and new bearings in the 8.2 Chevy housing that's in the car now. Luckily I found the GTO axle shortly afterward.
Is your rear end a worn out posi or has it always been a peg leg? There are articals on the internet about reshaping the cones and getting a worn out posi to work, but that might cost as much as a new carier. Or you could always find a 12 bolt if you don't care about originallity....oh wait I'm talking to the guy that fixes paint drips that can't be seen. lol

#13 ·
Alright, the shop that is doing my rebuild on my rear for 200$ said if I get an Auburn or an Eaton LSD they will install it at no charge, found the Auburn for 375 shipped. Eaton is 550, I hear the Eaton is rebuildable but I dont really care since the car is not going to see too many miles anyway. Anyone have the Auburn unit? Anyone wanna sell me one? :D

#15 ·
Any suggestions on gear ratios. I am also going to add a limited slip and change the gear ratio while I'm there. I'm definitely not going to race it but I do want some get up and go.
What would be the highest you would go on a street machine. Then what would be down a couple sizes from there?
Again I'm not racing it. But I'm also not worried about gas consumption.

#21 ·
I agree with Bear. A 3.23 is a great all-around ratio for these cars if performance is a factor. In today's world, 3.55 and steeper gears have no place on the street with Pontiac power under the hood. I can't even begin to hook up the 3.36's in my little 389 powered '65 GTO.....and my tuna-boat '67 convertible with an automatic absolutley fries the tires with its lazy 2.56 posi....but gets 20 mpg at 75mph (2450 RPM). Pretty neat with CA fuel being $4.45 a gallon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.