User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Looking for a 1967 auto console

I'm looking for a auto console for a 1967 GTO. I don't want a restored one and I really don't want one that can be restored as I'm going to be using it to as a templet for a carbon fiber mold. I can use one that is broken down and has crack and even some holes. I can always fill in the blemishes with modeling clay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
So, you basically need just the base? Or the whole console?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The whole console would be best. I plane on making a reproduction base out of either carbon fiber or high density fiberglass and the top out of carbon fiber (a resto-mod type look with the switches for the windows on the center console) I would need the top eventually to make the molds for the carbon fiber inlays. I don't want to potentially ruin something restorable.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM

Garage
I have a couple of nice bases and tops. I would LEND to you if they aren't gonna get "sacrificed"....too nice to ruin though......Eric PM me.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
could make a mold from them, i would shrink wrap them first then make a polystyrene mold, that will give you a female to lay glass into with release to make a base, then lay carbon fiber on that. only problem will be glove box as it will be 3 dimensional, but i would make top and sides as one piece and the box as another. You can also use Polyester fleece stretched over and resined to make a rough mold....Good luck and take pictures as you go

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 06:46 PM

Garage
Sounds like an interesting project.......8ter and Crustysack should be consulted on this one!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm gunna make a complete mold of the base and the top part will be a separate mold on one set of molds mold. The other mold I want to do everything at once (less the console lid that will be done separate). After I get the rough mold on the second I'm gunna make a sample piece out of plaster and modelers clay and re-work it a bit to give it a little modern and rounded look with integrated window switches, suspension air bag switches, maybe a NOS switch and I'm contemplating a cup holder (lol). I'm gunna be making vacuum molds though and in the past when I made a vacuum mold out of something plastic the heat generated from the chemical reaction can damage the plastic pieces. The top plate for the Hurst Shifter showed up today so I can start with that piece. I appreciate the offer for the loan of the parts but I don't want to risk ruining something that can still find a good home in a Goat. I like resto-mods, but not at the expense of destroying something original or salvageable. I'm still a purist at heart. I'll definitely put pics up though and since I will own the molds, if when I get it dialed in and anybody wants one I'll do it up for materials and cost of shipping.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
cool Cop i might take you up on that, keep us posted. I ended up restoring an original as mine is more of a 70's retro mod, but a did pad and wrap the sides in black vinyl to match the interior as the plastic looked cheap with the walnut dash, shifter handle and steering wheel. i was thinking of making a vacuum frame myself, have a bunch of the turbo Fox Body Mustang boys wanting me to make them boost gauge panels, have not done any CF yet though.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
There is no difference with CF in the vacuum molds, just the cloth and resin, the process is all the same. With CF though you can add a filler, like a honey comb, which makes it even more stronger then FG.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 AM

Garage
Beyond my capabilities. Would love to see and maybe have one. Like I said, I have a couple good bases if you need one......E

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in