Looking for ideas for my seats - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for ideas for my seats

I am working on putting a 70 Tempest back together. The front seats that were in it are old and smell like 43 years of butts, dust and probably some water here and there. The driver's seat is torn up and was put back together with tape. The passenger seat is in decent condition with a few tears and the general musty smell of the last 43 years. I am not doing a nuts and bolts restoration, but want it to look decent. Here are the options as I see them:

-Pay someone to reupholster them for about $650. Or do one for $325 and the other when I have the cash.

-Do it myself and possibly end up paying someone $650 to do it right down the road. I know I could buy the skins and foam, but have no clue how to do it right.

-Buy Febreeze and some $30 seat covers from Autozone while saving money to have them both redone.

-Keep watching Clist and other sites for suitable seats that will look decent and will not cost an arm and a leg.

So, If anyone has any advice, that would be great.
How hard is it to recover seats with new foam and vinyl, and are there any good kits or videos out there that explain it?

Looking through threads here I see that people have used seats from all kinds of vehicles. If anyone has advice or pictures of what they used, why they used them, and how they like them, that would be great too.

For now I am going to continue putting my interior back together, but I would like to have the seats ready to go by the time I get the carpet, headliner and everything else in place.

I am attaching pics of the seats, because I know how people love pics

Thanks in advance,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	814.5 KB
ID:	29578   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	621.9 KB
ID:	29586  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 02:17 PM

I picked these up on Craigslist for $450. They are Procar Rally 1000 seats, Vinyl, and 100 million times more comfortable than the 40+ year old buckets, not to mention maybe half the weight. These seats also hug you in better, so you won't be sliding all over the place during hard cornering. They sell new for about $600 I think and they have other great vintage-style seats they make. Check eBay and the Procar website. If you're lucky you can snag a used set like I did. I would highly recommend these seats. As far as maintaining the vintage style and adding modern form, function, and comfort, it doesn't get much better than these.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1376270471376.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	29594  

"You Gotta Have Fun When You're Little!!"
-Dick Schindler

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, those look pretty sweet. Updated, but still look like they could come from the period. I will add those to my list. There is a guy on the local CL that has a full set of seats out of a Firebird that I could make work, but they are fabric and not exactly what I want.

Thanks for the pic. That is what I was looking for.

Erik

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 03:07 PM

Garage
Erik, there are bunch of instructional videos on recovering your seats. Recommend you watch a few before deciding which way to go. Something else to consider is the condition of the seat frame and seat springs. If those items are in good shape, you have a good candidate for a rebuild. I like the old bucket seats and rebuilt mine using the videos. Be prepared for your hands to hurt for a couple days after the hog ringing operation if you go that way. Matt

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

That's my other hang up. The slides and springs are rusty and fairly nasty. I would be in for some sandblasting and rebuilding to get them where I want them. After the money for the covers, cushions, tools and other parts I may be better off buying newer reproductions or buying something used to get by and then working on my seats on my own time so they get done right rather than rush through it. Thanks again.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 09:09 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Eric, what Matthew said. You seats look about as good as any Craigslist seat would. Expect to pay $1000 for some nice seats ready to go. And up from there. I would watch the videos, etc, get Legendary covers, new foam and burlap, and go from there. I tried to do mine 20years ago and couldn't quite get the front buckets right. Paid to have it done. A friend did his 3 years ago, and they came out nice. Not quite as nice as mine did (with a pro doing it) but really nice. I vote to keep the '70 seats. These seats are extremely comfortable and supportive, and don't hurt your lower back like the low, low, newer seats can. But they have to be rebuilt with new foam and must have good springs to function well. Here's a pic of some home-upholstered seats in a '67 GTO...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chip One 415.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	29666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chip One 416.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	29674  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I love the white interior. The contrast between black and white is sweet and bits of trim make it pop. After some reading and such I am leaning towards doing something on the cheap for now and then saving the pennies to do it right, especially if a pro can make it look as clean as yours

Thanks again. There is a ton of knowledge and experience here, and I just figured out what the "other forum" is that everyone is talking about. The internet sure takes the guesswork out a bit, and you can learn from what others have done.

E
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 08:12 PM

I think the point is simple. Whatever your budget can afford and look you want, original or modern. I'm worse off, I have seat frames but rusted and don't think they're worth saving. I did some research and the cost for me to replace with OE seats and new 05 GTO seats is about the same. I'm going with 05 GTO seats and rears. I have little choice.

1968 GTO Clone far from clean. Future LSX swap
Pace This! 30th TA #425, 517rhp/497tq, 408 LS3, 6spd, Front page featured car High Perf Pont 2011
01 WS6 Vert 6spd Susp, Borla & Z06 brakes|
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 PM

I am going to be in the very same boat. My seats are junk and will need to be totally redone, with upholstery, and foam, and burlap, and I have yet to strip them down yet, but I am hoping that the springs are not too far gone, that I can get away with just sandblasting them and the frames. You all talked about videos to watch, are they on the site somewhere? or just on the internet in general? because I am planning on having to do these myself because of funds, and I have never done anything like this before, so I could use all the help I can get! I would sure like to watch a video or 5-10!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 AM

Garage
Just do a internet search for bucket seat restoration and that will get you started. There are a couple techniques on this forum that you will not see in any of the videos such as use of zip ties in certain locations, but the procedure is the same. As long as you have two strong hands, you can do this. Regards, Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in