lower fender repair - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lower fender repair

How hard is it to repair the lower portion of the fender that is commonly rusted out? Both of mine are rusted completely out including the braces, is this something I should attempt on my own or should I have the bodyman who is coming to do my quarters do it for me?

Brooks Boys Repair
1966 GTO
1970 Chevelle
1962 Ford F100
1978 Landcruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
How difficult is it? It's all reletive.

Do you have any experience at bodywork? Do you have any welding experience? Do you have any fabrication tools?

I just repaired a pair of 70 Chevelle fenders including fabricating new lower innner fender braces. But I've done this plenty of times before. The replacement "patches" are available but the inner braces are not so they have to be fabricated.

If nothing short of perfection will make you happy maybe you should have your bodyman do it. However if you have any skills at all you should give it a shot. On my first resto, I first went out and bought a wire welder and then learned how to use it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 PM

i replaced my lower fender. got the patch from perf years. it wasnt hard just make sure that you measure what you cut off is what you weld on so that your not to long or to short when done. i made a little cardbourd templete of the original brfore i cut it off. the right way would be to tack it on and install the fender back on and check the fitment but my car is totally apart so ill hope for the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fender.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	15778  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

I have all the parts and tools and have done all the body work to my car so far. Bobby your picture gave me confidence, I think I might try it myself, worse comes to worse I can save up and just pick up a whole new fender if I really botch one up.

Brooks Boys Repair
1966 GTO
1970 Chevelle
1962 Ford F100
1978 Landcruiser
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logchain View Post
I have all the parts and tools and have done all the body work to my car so far. Bobby your picture gave me confidence, I think I might try it myself, worse comes to worse I can save up and just pick up a whole new fender if I really botch one up.
I did mine on my own, and made my own patches out of flat sheet metal. It can be done - it's more a mind set than anything. You just have to be willing to go slow, and be honest enough to cut it back out and start over if you don't get it right.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in