LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The Marilyn Restoration Thread

Hi everybody!
I have introduced myself previously but for those who missed it, my name is Scott and I have been a long time GTO lover and multiple GTO owner. I was introduced to the perfect car by a friend, he had a 70 Judge RAIII .... wow what a car. I got my first GTO when I was 17, a green 68. She was rough and had no motor or tranny which I quickly remedied with a 1975 police interceptor 400 out of a junked grand prix. I drove her daily up to the college years and then sadly parted ways with her due to the high cost of maintenance. Next up was my white 1969 GTO GOD I loved that car, I only had her for a little over a year when she was destroyed by a hail storm. I was unable at that stage in my life to bring a car back from that kind of devastation, so she too was sold. By 22 I felt it was time to try again so I bought a 1972 numbers matching GTO that had been partially restored, poorly. When I got married at 25 my wife made me get rid of her as it was not a responsible vehicle. I should have known that marriage was doomed from the start

That brings us to now, some 19 years later, a new wife, a new life and....my new baby. Marilyn. Rachel, my new wife, decided we needed a "project car" and she loved the 1969 GTO Judge in Carousel Red. We are not independently wealthy so we found the next best thing, a 1969 Tempest Custom S .... in Minnesota. Here she is the day we picked her up.

LOTS A JUNK IN THIS TRUNK!

Here she is on the way to her new home.

So Now finally at this stage of my life I don't need my classic GTO for a daily driver because I have a 2005 GTO for a daily driver WOOT! So, dis-assembly begins...and the restoration is ON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Day one of the "Project" 7-2-11

we got started over the holiday weekend with the dis-assembly.

Got the seats, carpets and door panels out, looks good so far....

Solid floor and trunk...

Dash is out, and all trunk and nose wiring and lighting is out.

post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
There's always something.....

So far, all in all she's been in great shape. the only spot I am worried about so far is the package tray and back window, I am hoping after media blasting I don't find signs of poor body work there and that this is all just surface rust.

Speaking of, can anyone recommend a good media blaster in the Kansas City area?

I am optimistic, so far I have found one patch panel, welded in correctly, and it's obvious someone has used a rust inhibitor in the trunk and on the floor boards (POR 15 or something similar), so keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like a real solid project you got there. Congrats.

Good move on having your lady involved. My wife soon learned if she wanted to spend any time with me, she knew where I was.
post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 PM

Wife-----Car?????

I love Car.

The wife is cool also, but.

Congrats on the Car and a car friendly wife. I think it is 300 to 1 on GTOs vs wife that lets you spend time and money on them. The wife is a very rare option. I have had many many cars offered to me that where not practical any more for said husband aka friends.

If only I could get her out and work on them more then twice in the last decade. You are blessed my friend.

Oh and she loves the junkyard .

"Nurse's shouldn't have to go to the junk yard" has a guy is walking by laughing. Why she is sitting in the gravel next to the parts car I am working on. With a screw driver she found, drawing who know what. Wearing pajama pants and Tee Shirt, and mouth a flapping. It was a kodak moment for sure.

Your barn looks super cool also.

Good luck on the project, hope that is all the rust that you find in on her.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by likethat View Post
Wife-----Car?????

I love Car.

The wife is cool also, but.

Congrats on the Car and a car friendly wife. I think it is 300 to 1 on GTOs vs wife that lets you spend time and money on them. The wife is a very rare option. I have had many many cars offered to me that where not practical any more for said husband aka friends.

If only I could get her out and work on them more then twice in the last decade. You are blessed my friend.

Oh and she loves the junkyard .

"Nurse's shouldn't have to go to the junk yard" has a guy is walking by laughing. Why she is sitting in the gravel next to the parts car I am working on. With a screw driver she found, drawing who know what. Wearing pajama pants and Tee Shirt, and mouth a flapping. It was a kodak moment for sure.

Your barn looks super cool also.

Good luck on the project, hope that is all the rust that you find in on her.

Barn... no that is my unfinished side of the garage. I am thinking about insulating it and air conditioning it after the past week or 10 days here in KC. It was so hot (how hot was it?) I was so hot over the weekend all I did was paint a few little parts (in the basement) and dream of what I want to do next. I wish I had the funds to do all I want to do to it NOW instead of having to do a little at a time. It drives me batty.
post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 07:51 PM

You got a silo on your house(1st pic barn and silo, or am I seen things)? I was in St. Louis till a few days ago and felt that heat!!! Came back to Ohio and it is hot but not that hot.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by likethat View Post
You got a silo on your house(1st pic barn and silo, or am I seen things)? I was in St. Louis till a few days ago and felt that heat!!! Came back to Ohio and it is hot but not that hot.
I think the silo was at where he got the car at.. Nice project and great progress, looks like a non frame off build, clean car! Good luck and awaiting more pics.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I think that pic (silo) is where he GOT the car, not his house. Imagine the shop you could have in that barn though!!!!! Of course you would have to eat all the beef cows first!.....E

post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 AM

Looks like a great start to a cool project!!

Nice 68 nose! Those 69's chrome bumpers were hideous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in