To media blast or not. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To media blast or not.

Had a guy come by and give me an estimate on media blasting my car and frame. $1400

Thats more than I can afford. So Im thinking I will sand it all down to the bare metal. Patch any rust areas that can be cut out and welded. Any that cant treat and cover with POR 15.

But my friend who knows a little bit about body work (more than I know) says that if I do not media blast it then in a few years I will be seeing rust bubbles and such again.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Trying to deceide which direction to go with this right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Garage
Ya can't beat a good media blasting! If you don't have experiance sanding, you will gouge surfaces and ruin body lines......if you can't afford the blast, wait till you can. My $.02 Eric

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

I always appreciate your advice Eric.

I think I am gonna go ahead and have it done in about a month from now. Take me that long to get the rotisserie done and the car unassembled. The more I think about it the more I about how Im gonna always have that in the back of my head that I didnt do it.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:28 PM

Hey,

I've used media blasting for my project because on previous bodywork experiences media blasting is the only way to fully kill rust.

On my current project, (link below) I've decided to use a 'selective' media blasting method. The car has a lot of long, flat and un-dented panels that media blasting would warp. So instead I use orange paint and paint all of the areas that I want media blasted. Then the guy that does my blasting only hits those areas. This will allow me to use a DA sander to strip the large flat surfaces and avoid warpage and still kill the rust.

Check out the trunk lid on page 3, it was pretty successful;
My Restoration Project

Are other ways wrong...nope, this is just my way.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Media blasting is the prefered method, but if funds don't allow it sanding is fine and cheaper. I didn't strip my 70 to metal, and I'm doing my 66 now, and not stripping it either. It's nice to take it down to nothing and redo it all, but if the old bodywork isn't popping or doing anything ignorant, you can just leave it alone.
Remember, it's better to do it once and do it right, but cheaper to hope the old body work holds and maybe do it again later when you have more money and actually finish the project now and not let the body work hold you up from ever finishing.
It took my buddy 22 years to finish his 63 Chevy II because he couldn't do the body work and paint the firewall, and my other buddy spent 10 years doing a 55 Chevy. Both cars are sweet now, but they have over $30K in each of them.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:05 AM

You should also think of the money you'll be putting into the car and what it's value is. Does it make sense to put in tremendous money that you may never see again, assuming it's not your "forever" car?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitOrange View Post
Had a guy come by and give me an estimate on media blasting my car and frame. $1400

Thats more than I can afford. So Im thinking I will sand it all down to the bare metal. Patch any rust areas that can be cut out and welded. Any that cant treat and cover with POR 15.

But my friend who knows a little bit about body work (more than I know) says that if I do not media blast it then in a few years I will be seeing rust bubbles and such again.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Trying to deceide which direction to go with this right now.
i would say no. it is just a lemans. if you are already concerned about money in the cleanup stage you may have problems finishing it if you blast it. blasting exposes all kinds of bodywork sins that are expensive to fix. if you just want a nice driver patch the rust spots paint it and enjoy.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Jetstang brings up an interesting and very valid point: finishes that haven't failed in 20 -45 years are not likely to. Factory primer is the best there is...it's baked on, and if still doing it's job, I like to leave it alone. It's the "good stuff" with all the lead and toxins you need for a durable finish! I had a GTO stripped to bare, saw it in the raw, and it wasn't raw long. Everything was done right, and the car came out mint. Thing was, about 10 years later, some rust bubbles began to show in the paint. This was a rust free car....we're talking bubles on the tops of the fenders, hood, etc. My '65 was repainted 25 years ago over the factory finish and no rust. My '67 was painted 17 years ago over several finishes, but the car's never been stripped...just block sanded. Unless the car is in a super dry environment and treated immediately, it will flash rust. It may look perfect when done, but if you keep it for a long time, bad things can emerge. I am a BIG FAN of not stripping down to bare metal IF the car does not have rust issues and the old finish is solid. Being in California, this may very well not be a viable option for a lot of you folks.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Jetstang brings up an interesting and very valid point: finishes that haven't failed in 20 -45 years are not likely to. Factory primer is the best there is...it's baked on, and if still doing it's job, I like to leave it alone. It's the "good stuff" with all the lead and toxins you need for a durable finish! I had a GTO stripped to bare, saw it in the raw, and it wasn't raw long. Everything was done right, and the car came out mint. Thing was, about 10 years later, some rust bubbles began to show in the paint. This was a rust free car....we're talking bubles on the tops of the fenders, hood, etc. My '65 was repainted 25 years ago over the factory finish and no rust. My '67 was painted 17 years ago over several finishes, but the car's never been stripped...just block sanded. Unless the car is in a super dry environment and treated immediately, it will flash rust. It may look perfect when done, but if you keep it for a long time, bad things can emerge. I am a BIG FAN of not stripping down to bare metal IF the car does not have rust issues and the old finish is solid. Being in California, this may very well not be a viable option for a lot of you folks.
i agree.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 AM

X2^^^

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in