my 66 GTO build - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 66 GTO build

well guys, id like to introduce myself, im new here. im Vinny, 16 in high school, and this is mine and my dads car. my dad bought it around 11 years ago, and ita always been a daily driver, until the 455 we had in it blew last year (july 2011). the cam wore down, metal shavings got into the motor, blocked off all oil pressure, and boom. sent it out to the builder said one month. i begged my dad "Please let me smooth the firewall out, its so ugly stock" "ok" busted my rear end grinding it down. motor guy calls, says we wont get the heart back until winter. that was it, we couldnt stop. started tearing it down, but never actually finished, by then i had the whole front clip torn off, and the firewall was somewhat complete. then the motor guy says spring. we were ok with how long the motor took because we know he is a good builder, and he is going to make it bulletproof, and we would rather have it perfect than half assed. thats when i begged my dad to restore it. we were already into it, a little more cant hurt. boy was i wrong. we planned to be done by spring, but we didnt even have the body stripped by then (other priorities got in our way) so i started stripping the body down in spring of this year and was completely stripped in about a month. everything got put on the side once football started. fast forward now, one week after football ends, i pick up where i left off, a completely stripped, gutted interior 66 gto ragtop. my dad started on the body bolts monday while i was at school, i got home, took 2 more out. next day 2 more out, today, halloween, while every other 16 year old is trick or treating, im working on my true love. i got all the body bolts out only to find i missed 2 by the rear shock towers. i also took the convertible top out (Which was a pain, im glad my buddy was there to help me) and then stood back to think, it looks like i accomplished nothing today, but i know the work pays off. i would like to be in the restoration/custom car business when i grow up, so i prefer that my dad doesnt do much work on her. she is my learning piece, and he still guides me through alot, but i do the work, and im happy to do it, as long as he supplies the cash. i hope you guys enjoy my story, and stay in tune with all my updates. and if anyone has advice dont be afraid to throw it my way
thanks a bunch
Vinny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto before.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	15970   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor blown.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	15971   Click image for larger version

Name:	me pullin the motor.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	15972  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
You go Vinnie, welcome aboard, you came to the right place. The guys on here are a wealth of information. Many of us, like you have dived head first into a resto. At times it will seem you are making little progress especially when you hit body and paint, but keep on it and you will be rewarded every time you walk into the garage and can say "i did that myself"... (soda) You can see photos of the whole process on mine at link below the picture.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Pretty cool! I wish I coulda gotten mine at 16! Good luck with the build. (soda lol)

Jarred "Hot Rod" |1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport | Just a 350...

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Good job bud, Im in the same boat as you. Got my car 3 years ago when I was 21 and have done almost all of the work myself, I feel like im in over my head more often than not but it will all pay off just like Instg8ter said. My old man only helps out when its a 2 person job. You're going to learn a lot, skills you will keep forever. I too hope to have a shop someday where I can work on cars part time. Have fun and enjoy the ride and keep us updated with pictures.

Brooks Boys Repair
1966 GTO
1970 Chevelle
1962 Ford F100
1978 Landcruiser
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the support guys, it means alot! just an update, im going to try and bust my back everyday on it for as much as i can until track starts. today i got the last of the body bolts out, they were in the worst possible spot ever located right next to the rear shock towers and the wheel well. cut the top floor out, busted the cage, and zapped it with the impact from under while my dad held a wrench on the nut. the body is free now, and only thing left is to brace the body. then the body comes off hopefully sunday!

does anyone have any suggestions on how to brace a convertible without welding braces? my dad saw a guy use fence posting from the striker to the hinge bolts then across from drivers to pass side. and suggestions?
heres some pictures of what i got today

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

well guys, after a week of hard work of cutting body bolts, and then a 13 straight hour day to clean the garage for room, the body is finally off! started tearing the frame apart so i can get it blasted... heres a couple pictures. what do ya'll think?
-Vinny

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

just dropped in to say i got the everything disassembled off the frame, going to send it to get sand blasted next week, and then im going to start the body work on the body. wish me luck
heres some pictures of the frame

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 PM

Garage
Awesome job. I used your pics and just opened up the car below the package tray to get my broken bolts out. Now, all body to frame mounts removed. I'm just installing new bushings, but is a frame off, lol.. Your build looks great. Keep on [email protected]

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstang View Post
Awesome job. I used your pics and just opened up the car below the package tray to get my broken bolts out. Now, all body to frame mounts removed. I'm just installing new bushings, but is a frame off, lol.. Your build looks great. Keep on [email protected]
thanks man, one of the guys at my dads work told him to cut out the floors, and it worked.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Hang in there Vinny, you're in for a ton of work and no small amount of challenge, but it is possible.

Hope you braced that body really well before lifting it, since it's a convertable and all.

I did my 69 hardtop 100% myself. Check out photos (when you have LOTS of time..) at
Bear's 69 GTO Project

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in