My 67 GTO Frame Off Rest
I'm currently restoring my 67 GTO. Just to get you all up to speed on what I have going on. Because I started this resto about 6 months ago and im just now getting on this forum.
I bought a 67 GTO from a buddy of mine that buys and sells old cars. Needed some work but I am really mechanical incline. Although this is my first restoration I have done a lot of work with different cars.
The first couple of pictures are when I actually picked up the car and took it home. And the next couple of pictures are when I took the body off and began the restoration.
To begin with I totally disassemble everything and began sand blasting on the frame. Which took forever.
Then I went ahead and painted the frame with a black rattle can frame paint.
After that I began to replace parts that needed to be replaced. I kept the control arms except the lowers I got some new originals and I shoved all new polyurethane bushing and ball joints in all everywhere that had bushings and dumbed the rubber bushings.
After that I began with the assembly of the front end. Ordered new springs (Factory Height). After market Shocks and Sway bar. Also, I upgraded the front drum brake to a disc brake kit (GetDiscBrakes). Which allowed me to keep the stock spindles. I ran with this because I didn't want to drop the car before I placed the motor in with the headers and the long tube headers might be to low to the ground. So for now I am just bring it back to stock height.
Also, because of the motor which I am about to get to. I decided to go ahead and go with the 12 bolt instead of the 10 bolt rear end. Which I picked up from a buddy of mine that is off a 70 A-Body frame. Also, is a half inch longer on both sides but getting a 67 rear end with 12 bolts is nearly impossible unless I spend a lot of money. So I picked up a 12 bolt that needed some sandblasting for a 100 bucks.
On to the motor and the part that will piss some people off. I currently have the numbers matching motor for the car and all the numbers matching stuff set to the side. But I am wanting to build big power and have fun and besides I am very good with Chevy motors so I've decided to store that Pontiac motor and have some fun with the Chevy 496 Stroker motor followed by a Jakes Performance Transmission 4L80. Just know that if I ever decide to sell it which I am a 100 percent sure I wont I will be able to place all the numbers matching stuff back in it. So that's why I ran with the 12 bolt to support the low end that the Chevy cranks out.
My overall goal with this car is to turn it all back to original excluding the motor and the rest of the drive train. Everything will be original inside and out. I hope that you all enjoy some of the pictures that I post and feel free to drop a comment or advice except the negatives about a Chevy in a Pontiac.