Thought I'd post a little of my 69 project. This car was the last car my dad and I bought together a few years before he died, so it's special to me. It was my daily driver as I was finishing up college - in 1974. I started a frame off on it in the early 80's, then "life got in the way" and it had to sit awhile. The project got going again, finally, in June of 2008 and I've been working on it fairly steady since then. Things got really serious about March of this year when I got a nice bonus from work and my sweet, loving bride said, "Honey? why don't you take all that and finish the GTO." I didn't make her say that a second time.
As of right now, the body work is done, wet sanded, and ready for paint. The engine, drive train, cooling system, fuel system, suspension, and brakes are done. I decided to warm up the numbers-matching YS 400 a 'tiny bit'. It's now stroked to 461 with very good internals, genuine #722 iron heads, solid roller cam, headers, and a real 455SD Qjet (service replacement) that I had the good fortune to have bought many years ago from HO. Here's a link to the dyno sheet.
Here's a couple of links to videos of it running, in the car, for the first time in more than 20 years - both with
and also with
I used the Engine Analyzer program from Performance Trends to plan and model the motor. The actual runs on the dyno turned out to be very close to what was predicted so I feel the software must be pretty good. If their companion Drag Race Analyzer is equally as good, then the car ought to be in the high 11's on good drag radials, 11.30's or so (roll bar territory) on slicks. We'll find out eventually...
Man, I've sure learned a lot in the past couple of years working on this thing. Things like:
1) The phrase "bolt-on" is always a lie. So is "complete kit".
2) Once you modify "one thing" you will then have to modify "everything".
3) There's a very good reason that quality body work is both difficult to find and hideously expensive when you do.
4) Learn to expect set-backs, challenges, and problems that you will slow you down until you solve them, usually on your own.
5) There's a reason that it's called "car building" and not "car assembling".
6) Anything you do in a big hurry is usually wrong.
7) It doesn't matter if you lay down a weld that is 99.99% perfect. That remaining 0.01% will still leak.
8) Your car will always be the one that needs the part that was only used for a short time during production, that you can't get any more, causing you to have to modify other things in order to use the part that you CAN get, at which time #2 above will rear its ugly head.
9) Remember, we do this because it's fun...
If you'd like to see a TON of photos I've been taking since June of 2008, go here.
(I try to keep these reasonably up to date as I work on things.)
Thanks for reading,