my new 65 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my new 65

Hello i finally found a decent 65.Capri gold with black interior four speed.PHS doc says 382 option. I have many questions the rear sits a little low for my taste it is 3 inches lower than the front any suggestions?The interior lite needs to be mounted.Does the lite mount from front to back or side to side the mounting holes are throwing me off? i need alot of parts rear view mirror, side mirror, rear window inside trim pieces ,lower rocker panels, wheel well trim, rear bumper,wheel trim rings.The ring i need are for 14 inch rims does anyone know how wide the ring is 2 inch?Any suggestions on good places to find these parts? I found ames and I'm sending the gauges to Pete.Thanks in advance for all your guys help. triplets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	11329  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats, in the photo it looks like a great car. Keep those Rallye I's - they're hard to find.

Lots of folks like Ames because they're exclusively Pontiac. Thepartsplaceinc.com also is good as are others. If it's low in the rear (could also be "high" in the front) suspect worn out rear springs (or someone replaced the front springs with some that are too strong). Can't help you on the dome light mounting or the trim rings, sorry. I've got a 69.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice looking car.
I get all my stuff from Ames or Performance Years. There is also opgi and the parts place, same stuff, just sometimes more expensive. There are also salvage places like Bethals goat farm and the Hemmings motonews is allways a good sorce for finding used parts.
I would say that your front end looks too high, maybe there will be less weight on the rear when you fix the front and it will even out more. Don't understand the dome light question, pics would help.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.Ill check those places out. The dome lite is installed it mounts the way you would think it doesn't for a lack of better words front to back.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:22 PM

That sure looks nice. Its nice to see one in good shape and either gold or maize... Gives me hope and motivation.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:36 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Congrats. Front looks high to me, too. Rear actually looks about right. The AMES catalog will tell you what trim rings you need. I'm not at home so I can't measure miine....Had a Capri Gold '65 with 4bbl and automatic back in '81. It was a neat car. Sold it for $1100, making a healthy profit!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 07:10 AM

looks like a sweet ride like the gold too
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the replys. The front sits 27 inches hi with p235/60/14 and the rear sits 24 with same rim and tire Does that sound correct?I checked the receipts the front springs are new oem.Has anyone used the opg gauges? They are half the price from what Pete wants or is it you get what you pay for?Can anyone tell me where some of the markings on the firewall go and what color chalk? I like that kind of stuff i just ordered a delco red top for the battery
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice car! I have some nice driver quality lower rocker panels if you are intrested. PM me if so.

Johnny
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 04:37 PM

It sure does look like the front springs are to high. Even though a receipt may say they are OEM there are a lot of springs out there that claim they are correct but are in fact more generic in nature and end up being generally on the high side rather than the low side. There are several firms that make springs to original specs but are generally higher in cost than the more common generic ones (Eaton in Detroit and Coil Spring Specialties in KS). Do a search here and on the PY forum on springs and you will get a lot of info. I know because I am in the process of getting new springs for my '66. Good luck on the new car, it looks good and we all know you will have fun with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in