Need some front end fitting advice - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need some front end fitting advice

I am just getting started fitting the front end back together. Have a slight issue where it looks like in order to get the front fender to line up with the front of the body I need to have it about 1-2 inches higher at the front cross member. I looked at the diagram in my restoration book and can't see anthing obvious I am missing, but am wondering about the way the front cross member mounts to the frame. I picked up new bushings and have those installed but again, seems a bit too low. Here are some pics showing my work in progress. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am assuming I could make a spacer under the bushing but don't want to go down that route until I triple check I am not missing something obvious. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
You need to raise the radiator support. There should be rubber bushings between the chassis rail and the support, where the bolt goes through....shim as necessary with washers.....Eric

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
Your missing radiator support bushings. Kits can easily be found at places like opgi and Ames. Should cost about $30 (ballpark).

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Hard to see from those pictures, but I have the bushings installed. I have the two bushings sandwiched around the radiator suport but it "feels" like I should have something else underneath the bushing as the support is just barely above the frame. Happy to shim between the bottom bushing and the frame, just was curious if there was a block or something I am missing here. Thanks for the tips!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:55 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
No block..just multiple large washers like the factory used....and plenty of patience!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:35 PM

Looks in the photos car is on a lift with no support on the frt suspension to even out the load. If you can put wheels on car and put back on ground and see what you have then. Could just be the nose is saging from no load support to frt end of car being on a lift.
Good luck
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

It is on a lift as you pointed out, will drop it down and see what effect that has, but I am not really close to final fitting, just wanting to make sure i had the plan at this point. Thanks again for all the help, starting to dimly remember taking out some washers when I took it all apart. (did not think that would be 3 yrs ago... where has the time gone?)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred007 View Post
Hard to see from those pictures, but I have the bushings installed. I have the two bushings sandwiched around the radiator suport but it "feels" like I should have something else underneath the bushing as the support is just barely above the frame. Happy to shim between the bottom bushing and the frame, just was curious if there was a block or something I am missing here. Thanks for the tips!
"Sandwiched around" is not where they go, if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly. One biscuit goes inside the frame rail on between the bolt head (or nut) and the inside of the frame rail. The other biscuit goes on top of the frame rail -between- the frame rail and the radiator support. The "top" of the radiator support only gets the nut and the "fat" metal washer on it. Yes - this allows the radiator support to "flop around" and have some give to it when it's mounted on the frame with nothing else connected to it, but everything tightens up when you tie in the fenders.

Also you don't have to tighten the bolts down like Atlas so that the biscuits get squashed flat. Generally, tight enough so that the outer circumference of the biscuits is "the same" as the fat metal washers is what you want.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
.....and then shim as necessary. There are special thick washers with 7/16 holes you can use. (They are cheaper than spark plugs) Sorry man, I had too....been there!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in