User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
LAZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New guy with a 67 lemans need a little help

I just got me a 1967 lemans and im not going to make it an to any gto clone just cause you dont really see that many nice lemans around with a 326 out here this car is a all numbers matching im trying to do a frame off this would be my 1st time any one out here please help me with 1.should i sand blast the old paint off
2.the best way to get the frame off restoration 3. Where can i get good engine paint 4. The car has a bad roof i got a new roof just dont no where to cut it from

1967 LEMANS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
how much room to work do you have, would be my first question? Body on rotisserie, frame, front clip, motor, interior not to mention the stuff you will be buying.....all takes up space when its separated from the car, I am doing frame on and have my office, 24x36 shop and a storage shed filled with parts of one sort or another and i have only been on it since sept 1st

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
LAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
how much room to work do you have would be my first question? Body on rotisserie, frame, front clip, motor, interior not to mention the stuff you will be buying.....all takes up space when its separated from the car, I am doing frame on and have my office, 24x36 shop and a storage shed filled with parts of one sort or another and i have only been on it since sept 1st

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket
i have a lot of space to work on the car where it at it on a lot with 5 bays its a old AUTO BODY SHOP that the guy i know dont use at all and is ok with me working on the car their he said i can leave the car their and do my work on the car

1967 LEMANS

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 AM

for starters you will need to remove front clip and radiator support, then all of the body to frame bolts (the ones with the rubber bushings) and disconnect any wire harnesses. Best advice is to document every step with photos and bag and label all bolts and assemblies (the fun starts when you go to put it all back together). next you will need to set up 6 jack stands or build body jig to hold it up once you raise it off the frame, set them outside the width of the tires and support the body with 3 - 2x8 and you can roll the frame out from under it once it is up on stands. sandblasting will be most economical and quickest way to strip frame and under body.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM

I would suggest you acid dip the body instead of blast it. if your not careful with a sand blaster you can cause more harm than good. it would be safe to blast the frame though.

www.liletrailersales.com --For all your trailer needs
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I think acid dipping is a Capital crime in New Yawk....but it is a great way to get rid of paint, rust, etc.....then do your welding, GALVINIZE and go from there.....just dreaming, but would be the best way to go........

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 04:39 PM

or just scrap that wimpy little three sided frame and have Erics guy build you a tank frame...LOL, agree that acid dipping is best way to go, on body, can get costly though, looking for price list for my local place, did my tank and it was brand new clean. Wanna say they get 650.00 for main body...have to dig it up, they charged 60.00 to do my gas tank
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:42 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
It depends on how rusty the car is. Out in California, acid dipping to me would be a last resort. The acid tends to stay in the seams and crevices and can come back through the paint 5 or 10 years later. Are you sure you want to acid dip the body?? If it's a rusty mess, then it's a good way to go......
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
LAZ

The body has no rust at all just the top of the roof is where the rust is at

1967 LEMANS
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 AM

have any pictures Laz, maybe if we see it we can give you better info, is it original paint, body all metal, rust on roof surface or pitting and through? if there is no rust and just paint may be able to use a stripper i have used citristrip with decent results and it is non toxic, if you sandblast underside go lightly as thin spots will get pinholes. lots of painting on interior in the 64-67's also. My car was Zeibarted shortly after purchase, blasted everyplace that they did'nt get, there were a few spots where it was heavy and starting to peel off a little but the factory paint was perfect underneath, after around six bags of sand (most of which bouncing off the undercoat) i figured if its been on there 45 years and has'nt come off or trapped moisture why mess with it, epoxied bare metal and undercoated everything before putting in new detailed springs, shocks, suspension and brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in