New Member with a big new project - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Member with a big new project

Hello all, I put the very long story of how I came to find this 67 GTO in to the Hello section, but just to refresh, I live in Austin Texas and just got this car last weekend. It's very original, but rough. If you have a chance, read the long post in the new member section.

To break it down, I pulled it out of my friends garage, towed it home, and with the help of my Dad have started cleaning it up and researching about it, and making lists of parts it'll need. I've run the numbers on the cowl and door jam. The car is a Plum Mist over parchment hardtop, built in Kansas City in October 1966. It's got the base 335hp 400 and turbo 400 w/dual gate, factory air, power steering and power drum brakes. It also has only 26K miles on it, but has been off the road since 1982!

Enjoy the pics!

Sept 4, 2010. Just drug it out of the garage in Houston, chain still under the front:

First rear view:

Inside is a mess but seats are not ripped up!

Dirty 400 but it's all still there, a/c and p/s too!

On the trailer!

On the way home to Austin

The ugly side!

Made it home, and wife jumped right in with my son, Holy Cow, she likes it!

New home, in my garage

Trim above the grill was in the trunk

Look forward to your comments. I need all the help I can get with this one!

Glad to have found the forum,

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

More pics of the new project:

I love that hood!

Seats are dirty but not torn up!

Dual Gate

Dirty Dash

Rally Clock but base gauges

Door Emblem

Rear seat is dirty but solid:

Trunk was FULL of trim. Cleaned it all up:

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

And the last few pics I've got so far:

Rusty trunk, ouch!

Cleaning the car with a pressure washer:

Hood cleaned and drying:

Engine MUCH cleaner. Check out the COOL Plum Mist color on the cowl below the wipers. Pretty Rare!

Looking forward to comments. Hope you all like the pics!

-Mike

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 PM

Nice project looks like it will make a nice car with some TLC (Time Labor and Cash )

66 GTO basket case lots of rust Was My dad's project
Parts Cars
66 body / 67 Tempest
The Rest Of the Toys
71 Cutlass Supreme Drag Car, 72 Vista Cruiser, 08 Mustang GT (The Wifes)
And a Few Powerstrokes To Pull Them
JJ
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Well my post in the New Members section didn't post for some reason, so here is the long story to go along with the pics above.

Greeting from sunny Austin Texas! I just got this car last weekend on Sept 4th, and have not done much more than clean it so far.

This car will need a LOT of work, but it's all there. It's a 67 2dr hardtop, original color was Plum Mist (purple) over parchment (white). It's got the original 400 V8 with a Quadrajet 4brl, Turbo 400 automatic hooked to the factory Hurst Dual-Gate (his & hers) shifter, factory a/c, power steering and power brakes, and heavy duty cooling. It will be something if I can restore it!

Interesting history. My friend AJ, who I got the car from, got the story from the original owner's son. The car was purchased new by his mother in 1967, the title is still in her name. It was damaged at the dealership when new, someone backed a forklift into the right 1/4 panel, and they did a fast fix on it, and not a great job. It sat on the lot for a while, most likely because Plum Mist was not a popular color, and interestingly, the car was factory equipped with dog-dish hubcaps and white-walls....not too sporty for a GTO.

She drove the car locally from 1967 to 1982, and stopped driving that year (still has the 1982 inspection on the windshield). The car was parked in a leaky garage/carport and the lady died a few years later. When parked the mileage on the car was only 26,000! The car sat in the garage until the owner's son decided to put it up for sale in 2007. By now the car had stuff piled on it and was fairly rough looking, and the guy basically wanted it out of the garage. AJ found out about the car, looked into it, and managed to buy the car for $800. Pretty good!

The car was all complete and original down to the plug wires. He replaced the gas tank, rebuilt the carb, re-core'd the radiator, installed a brand new dual exhaust system, and removed the factory steel wheels with hubcaps and replaced them with Pontiac Rally II's and raised white letter tires. Car was running and driving again.

The car has always been in Texas, but sadly got parked in a leaky garage, so it has rust issues. AJ had a former student of his that owned a body shop about an hour away. He agreed to do the bodywork for $2000 as a "side job". AJ drove the car to him, gave him a deposit, and also a new reproduction tail light panel and driver's side floorpan he'd already bought.

The guy took out the tail lights and removed most of the trim off the outside and put it in the trunk. He started sanding the car and put it in primer here and there as he did it. Then, a few months into the work his business went under. The car was pushed outside, sadly with the hood off and trim removed. AJ had no idea. The body guy's wife actually called AJ a few months later and told him that he should come get his car, as she'd heard that he was considering selling it for $3000 and was going to tell AJ it had been stolen (!!) AJ was furious and rightly so, and went to get the car. When he got there the engine had water in it from being left outside with the hood off, and was locked up. The rust was much worse too, as it had been left out with many areas sanded bare, and it rains a lot in Houston. Also the idiot sold the new tail light panel and left the new bare floorpan patch panel outside and it was now totally rusted.

AJ towed the car home, pulled the plugs and put ATF in the cylinders to try to get the engine free, and then put it in his garage in disgust, and it's been sitting in there for two years now. He called me up a few weeks back, told me he was never going to have time to fix it, and asked if I wanted to come get it. Which I did today!

It rolls easy and we had no trouble getting it on the trailer. My wife's Suburban towed it fine. When we got home I was shocked, amazed and tickled. MY WIFE LIKES THIS CAR!! I think she was happy it was not an old station wagon or Chevy Citation. She actually jumped right in it with our baby son Tucker and helped us get it off the trailer and into the garage...and let me take her picture in it...PROOF!! I'm still in shock. This is the first car in memory that I've drug home that she's liked, and it's in terrible condition. HA!!!

All the exterior trim, tail lights, headlight bezels, header panel, and wiper cover were still in the trunk. I got my shop vac out and sucked all the rust scale out of the trunk, vacuumed the interior, and pulled the rotten carpet up in front of the bucket seats...holes there...ouch.

The car is rough, no joke. but all there. The seats are filthy but not ripped up at all, it really has low miles on it, still just over 26k! It rusted under the windshield trim and the rear window trim, common on these cars, and water pooled in the trunk and front floorboards and rotted them. It's going to need patch panels on both front floorboards and a full trunk pan, as well as around the front and rear windows. It's also going to need a lower 1/4 patch panel on the left rear, and a full 1/4 panel on the right rear, and the tail light panel. I WILL have to learn to weld or this will cost a ton to fix....

The doors, front fenders, header panel, and hood are all pretty much perfect and rust free. The frame is solid, exhaust is still like new, and the car has all the pieces. I'm betting I can get the engine to break loose too. And MAN the doors "thunk" solid when you close them, no rattles at all, despite all the "needs" it has you can tell the miles are really low, it's all still so tight!

Dad and I are going to pull the body off the frame. This project will take years. I'm torn about the color. Plum Mist is a really rare color, and the car will be worth more if it was done in the correct color, especially since it's a matching-numbers car, but I'd love it in silver or black.....and with white interior any color will work. We'll see, that's WAYYY down the road.

Enjoy the pics!

-Mike
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations on your find and acquisition. I am certain you and your Dad will get a tremendous amount of satisfaction in bringing it back.

You didn't solicit votes, but FWIW I vote for keeping it plum mist.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:39 PM

nice find, enjoy!

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Oh I have a feeling it'll be re-done in Plum Mist. I'd love to see one in person in that color. In some pics they look almost black, in others VERY purple. Will be on the lookout for one!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:13 PM

Rough? you call that rough? Thats a four week resto right there! Hardly even need a welder! Looks nice and always liked that color. Congrats, looking forward to the build!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:21 AM

Congrats, looks like a winner and a fun project at that.

Don't know how old your son is, but for my daughter, I bought the Wesco 4-point seatbelt. Installs very easily and works if your kid is in a booster. 4 Point Passenger Car SeatBelts

Easily reversible when he grows out of it back into the lap belts.

As someone who is dealing with this now, template on your existing quarters where the "GTO" badge holes are as the replacement quarters if bought new don't have holes in them.

Good luck!

Thanks,
Nedorama
67 Lemans Convertible
http://web.me.com/nedorama/Nedorama/...67_Lemans.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in