New Member/First Post - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Member/First Post

I will be looking at a 1964 Pontiac GTO convertible that is for sale in my area. I have spoken with the owner and although he doesn't have any documentation that his car is a real GTO, he did tell me that he "had somebody check it out for him" and he is presenting the car as a real GTO. The seller believes the car to be a real GTO.

I have some experience with Fords and Mustangs (I restored a 65 Mustang Fastback 2+2, that I still own), but I know very little about Pontiacs.

Is there any information in the VIN or body tag that would allow me to determine that the car is a real GTO or a built-up Lemans?

Any insights or tips you could provide would be appreciated. I am assuming that the value of this car would be less for a Lemans versus a factory built GTO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In '64, a GTO was a LeMans option(option #382). It is best to send the vin number to PHS Historic Services to verify the GTO option. They can fax it to you if you want a quick turnaround. If it was assembled in Pontiac, MI or Kansas City, MO (on the data plate next to "body", (PON or KC/KAN)you should see a 5N at the bottom of the data plate(5 - Group option, N - GTO).

You are correct, a LeMans has less value than a GTO.

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires

Last edited by 68greengoat; 05-31-2011 at 10:50 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

Coincidentally, I am located in Madison!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:17 PM

Welcome, hope the purchase works out for you. Even if it isnt a GTO its still a very cool car. If you get it enjoy being in the club. Fords arent that different from Pontiacs, especially FE engines. I have a 71 Mustang and a 67 Cougar in addition to the GTOs and Firebirds.

As a side note, I dont enjoy driving down 151 through your town.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM

Welcome to the right place... Love those 64's. Get the PHS is the best advice we can give YOU!!!!!!! But if you have any questions about the #'s on the GTO ask away, Les
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

I think my next step will be to inspect the vehicle, check the VIN for myself, and come back home and try to authenticate the car as a factory built GTO. If I like what I see, I will pop for the fax back PHS results to confirm the car's status. This car is factory white, with a black interior, AT, and the 389 motor. Not my favorite colors, but I can live with them.

The asking price is $26,999 on craigslist and $29,900 in the local paper. I checked the NADA Classic Car value guide and the asking price seems to be in the ballpark.

151 through Madison is not that bad, is it? Maybe since I have lived here and driven it for 20 years, I don't notice.

Marshall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in