User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
New member introduction-68 convertible

Hello, I am new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I have been a Pontiac guy ever since I could remember. I grew up in the late 80's while hot rodding various Pontiac powered incarnations. Back then it was pretty easy to find good factory performance parts in the local salvage yards and assemble something for Saturday night drags.

In 1988 my brother wanted a Pontiac for his own so he purchased a 1968 GTO convertible project that needed some work. We paid $800 for the car and took it home. It was mostly complete but needed a new top, paint job and some engine and mechanical work. So, I rebuilt the engine and drive train for him....(as well as brakes, suspension, steering etc) and he finished the rest as his budget would allow. He was 19 at the time.

Fast forward 15 years later, we both are married with children and living the life. Unfortunately the car wasn't holding up nearly as well and was showing it's age. The heater core leaked and rusted out the floor pan, the rear quarter panel had collision damage and the interior was falling apart. By that time we both lived in different cities so I wasn't around to help him work on the car and since he isn't mechanically inclined, he hired a shop to restore the car for him. That was about 12 years ago.

Every time I would see my brother, I would ask him about the car and he has always been nonchalant about it. "Oh, it's coming along okay....I need to call the shop and check on the status." It really baffled me how he could leave it there for that long....so much so that I wondered if he actually still owned the car. Maybe he sold it and just didn't know how to tell me. So, I let it slide and quit bugging him about it.

Then this past year I restored my father-in-law's 1961 Bel Air bubbletop 348 car. He is the original owner and the car was in bad shape. My family helped me and we did a frame off restoration and it came out beautiful. It was a 12 month project and we finished it this past March. Our dad was super excited to have the car back again and it's won several awards at local car shows.

My brother happened to stop by one of the recent car shows and saw how well the '61 came out. At that time he said he really wanted to get his car finished. I asked him if he still had the car and he said it was still at the restoration shop but he hadn't seen it in 2 years-ish. Last he checked, the guy hurt his back and was in the hospital and hasn't been able to work on the car. So, I suggested (very strongly) that we pick up the car immediately and I'll see what it will take to get it finished. We went to his shop and he wasn't there....neither was the car. The person that answered the door said the restoration guy lost his lease and the landlord threw his stuff (cars and parts) out in the street. A good Samaritan neighbor collected the items and stored it in his yard until the guy got better.

So, we went across the street but the gate was locked. We found a way to look over the fence and there was a yard full of cars....one of them looked vaguely like my brother's car. The body was separated from the chassis and mounted upside down on a home made rotisserie. My brother was able to locate the guy via cell phone and he explained that his health prohibited him from working on cars and agreed to let us pick it up. That was a sad day. The guy attempted to replace floor pans and the workmanship was fairly rough. To make matters worse, the chassis was left out in the elements and all the detail work from years before was ruined. It's going to have to be completely tore down and refinished.

The doors, fenders, hood, air cleaner, etc were nowhere to be found. The owner of the yard said he moved them over to his other property so we drove about 5 miles to find the rest of our parts. We found the doors and fenders. The hood was buried in the corner. The Ram Air pan was laying out on a pile of Thunderbird parts and the hood baffle was resting against the fence. We didn't find the inner fenders or core support but we did find a couple of boxes of misc parts such as master cylinder, steering box, window regulators, latches etc.

It's depressing just to talk about it. My brother was depressed as well. So much so that he didn't want to spend any more time and money on the car and asked me if I wanted to buy the car or part it out and split the revenue. So, for those of you that have read the story this far....here is where it starts to get better....

So, a project car is like a puppy to me....I have to bring it home. Especially when it's a GTO. So, I loaded it up in the trailer and agreed to his price and brought the car home. I was seriously thinking of parting out the car but my wife wanted to research it first so I agreed to let her send out for the PHS heritage information. Meanwhile, I started inspecting the car to assess it's situation. I remembered the car had a 4 pinion axle carrier with 4:33 rear gears. The transmission was a close ratio but I wasn't sure if it was an M21 or M22. Turns out it's the M22. The engine was not original to the car...I knew that from the WZ block code and 670 heads but the engine turns over and has good compression so I might be able to revive it. The Ram Air pan and hood baffle had light surface rust but cleaned up well.

The floor pans are rough looking and I had to modify the rear foot wells to get the body mounted back on the frame. However, there is no rust to be found anywhere. I checked the obvious spots....rockers, lower quarters, trunk and all have solid sheet metal in place. The floor braces are solid as well....so all the car really needs is new one piece floor pan and repair to LH quarter panel (collision damage).

Today we get our paperwork from PHS. Apparently Ram Air cars are fairly rare for '68. You guys probably knew this already but I had no idea. So, my wife is not allowing me to part out the car (which I really didn't want to do anyway). I explained to her that we don't have the original engine but she still wants me to restore the car anyway. I'll probably have to sell one of my other cars to generate the funds but I think it will be worth it. I have a few more months before my '55 Bel Air is finished so I'll start on this car sometime this fall.

Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to find a WY block and RAII heads....(yeah right...) The factory color is Verdoro Green. Black top, Black interior. Build sheet says it had a Stereo Tape Player....blah, blah, blah...Bench Seat. Has anyone seen a 68 GTO with a bench seat? It had buckets when my brother had it....

The car has the front disk brake option.
Also has a hood tach but I don't see that on the build sheet. Is that included in the "Rally Gauge Cluster & Clock" option? Box 48 option 4. I wonder if the hood tack was added later by one of the previous owners. The car was painted a creme color so of course I'll put it back to the original spec. I'll pretty much restore it to as near original as possible. I'll use the WZ engine and 670 heads until I can find the correct type. If it turns out to be an impossible to find part, then I'll just drive the car around with the wrong engine. Won't bother me all that much when the pedal is mashed to the floor.

Now I am going to read some of the excellent threads on '68 restorations that I see in the sticky section. I hope you guys can help me out when I have technical questions. Should be fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Let's see if I can post some photos....
Bummer, my computer will only let me load one photo at a time. I'll have to figure out how to post more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150614_123558.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	59882  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome! feel free and post a few more pics. your question concerning rally gauge and clock, to also have hood tach from the factory it would then have to be ordered separately, no big deal, many were also dealer installed, and of course many have been installed since the 60's.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 08:00 AM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome Shake n Bake! Nice to see another GTO brought back from the dead. Plenty of knowledgeable folks here to help you with any questions you may have and some of us have a few spare parts tucked away you may need.

A Verdoro Green 68 convertible is one nice car! You may want to consider another rear gear or a five speed conversion though....those 4:33's are gonna be rough on the highway!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:17 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome x2 from me. Very rare car. My source book says there were 92 MT and 22 Automatic Ram Air convertibles for '68. Sad that the original engine is gone, but still a keeper. Your 670 heads of course are the good 1967 heads with closed chambers.

It sounds like you know your way around a restoration. I would restore the body/interior/chassis etc. and just build a solid engine/trans/rear-end for cruising. I would pull the 4.33 rear and put it in storage and go with something else. ALKYGTO mentioned the 5-speed which is a great alternative to get an over-drive 5th gear, but you will have to modify/cut your floor pan and some guys don't want to do that so as to keep their car pans original. For me, it would not matter because I would not be selling the car anyway, and I would want a car I could drive on the highway and long distances without killing the engine with upper RPM's. I'd sell the M22 -which is the highly desirable close ratio "rock crusher" at a good price and put the funds towards a TKO-600 5 speed transmission.

I'd get a 12-bolt with some 3.73 gears as a replacement rear-end.

The engine, well, that depends on what you are looking for. You will find many builds and recommendations on the forums, but with a convertible, I'd be more apt to build a dependable high powered street engine rather than an all out "rip the hides off" street/strip engine that would limit my cruisin' time with the top down.

Sounds like an awesome project in the making and I think I can say that we on this forum enjoy being part of it as you share your build and hit us up with questions and suggestions -we may even be able to save you some grief because we have already experienced it for you.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
Welcome Shake n Bake! Nice to see another GTO brought back from the dead. Plenty of knowledgeable folks here to help you with any questions you may have and some of us have a few spare parts tucked away you may need.

A Verdoro Green 68 convertible is one nice car! You may want to consider another rear gear or a five speed conversion though....those 4:33's are gonna be rough on the highway!
Agreed. The 4.33:1 gear was a screamer back when we first got the car. It was pretty much a stop light to stop light machine. I prefer 3.73 or 3.90 gears for the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Welcome x2 from me. Very rare car. My source book says there were 92 MT and 22 Automatic Ram Air convertibles for '68. Sad that the original engine is gone, but still a keeper. Your 670 heads of course are the good 1967 heads with closed chambers.

It sounds like you know your way around a restoration. I would restore the body/interior/chassis etc. and just build a solid engine/trans/rear-end for cruising. I would pull the 4.33 rear and put it in storage and go with something else. ALKYGTO mentioned the 5-speed which is a great alternative to get an over-drive 5th gear, but you will have to modify/cut your floor pan and some guys don't want to do that so as to keep their car pans original. For me, it would not matter because I would not be selling the car anyway, and I would want a car I could drive on the highway and long distances without killing the engine with upper RPM's. I'd sell the M22 -which is the highly desirable close ratio "rock crusher" at a good price and put the funds towards a TKO-600 5 speed transmission.

I'd get a 12-bolt with some 3.73 gears as a replacement rear-end.

The engine, well, that depends on what you are looking for. You will find many builds and recommendations on the forums, but with a convertible, I'd be more apt to build a dependable high powered street engine rather than an all out "rip the hides off" street/strip engine that would limit my cruisin' time with the top down.

Sounds like an awesome project in the making and I think I can say that we on this forum enjoy being part of it as you share your build and hit us up with questions and suggestions -we may even be able to save you some grief because we have already experienced it for you.
We are still thinking about the direction we want to go on this one. On one hand, I like to restore cars to as close to original spec as possible but without the original engine, What's the point? As weird as it sounds, it might bug me to know I have a "once upon a time" Ram Air car that was no longer.

Does anybody have any guesstimates as to what a '68 RA convertible without the original engine would be worth when it's finished? Here is a link to our last project so I'd be looking to improve on the build quality a bit compared to that one.
1961 Bel Air family project | 348-409.com Info Exchange Forum
That car appraised a bit north of $60k when it was finished so that was nice. However, that car stays in the family so the appraised value only means something for insurance reasons...

So, getting back to the GTO.
I've spoken with a guy locally who has a RAV engine ready to go. That would be cool. In addition, I know of a guy who has two RAV engines in the midwest so perhaps I could purchase one of those engines? (just thinking out loud here...)

So, let's imagine that I restore the car to a fairly high level and run with the built 1967 engine. The 670 heads were flow ported by the folks at the GM proving grounds so it should run pretty nice. I think I have a HC-03 Cam from HO Racing Specialties in there now. Then I talk someone into selling me a RAV for that and stick it in there at a later date. THAT would be cool....wouldn't it?

I think I just convinced myself. Please share your thoughts and opinions if you have any....I won't be offended. I am always looking for my next great idea to be explained to me.

At any rate, here are some more pics.
I have decided that I am going to cut out the floor boards that were installed by the restoration shop. It looks like he pieced them in and brass brazed them in place. I prefer to wire feed weld because it looks nicer and more original. Plus, he got the contour wrong at the rear seat brace....that spot is supposed to be MUCH wider. I went to the local salvage yard today to scope out some 68 and 69 convertibles and I see that my car is missing the door jamb braces and the floors aren't quite right. So, that will be the first thing I fix.

Since the quarter panels are not rusted...just dented, I am going to try to bump the metal back into shape. This way there will be no evidence of quarter panel repair work seen from inside the trunk. The LH rear quarter is quite damaged though so I might not be able to fix it. I guess we'll see how it comes out. The trunk looks great....way better than any trunk that I've seen on any of my previous projects. Cowl, firewall, toeboards, windshield track, rockers (inner and outer) are all fantastic. I have one little area to fix in the LH door jam dog leg. That should be easy.

So, I am looking for door jamb braces...anyone have a pair of those?

Oh yeah....the pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01 car and fenders.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	59905   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 LH rocker and floors.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	59913   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 tor boards.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	59921   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 LH hind quarter.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	59929   Click image for larger version

Name:	08 trunk.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	59937  

Last edited by Shake-N-Bake; 06-16-2015 at 11:15 PM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
Welcome! feel free and post a few more pics. your question concerning rally gauge and clock, to also have hood tach from the factory it would then have to be ordered separately, no big deal, many were also dealer installed, and of course many have been installed since the 60's.
I think you are right. I checked the hood closely and it's clear to me that someone cut the hole for the hood tach at a later date. They did a pretty good job though. It would be hard to spot with the components in place.

I also figured out the 'bench seat' question I had. The build sheet says that this car came with the 8 track player but was not available (NA) with a bench seat. So, since our car had buckets, the 8 track option was available. At least that is how PHS explained it to me. Makes sense.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

And a few more pics....
I'll start a 'restoration' thread when I get my 55 finished. I only have one rotisserie so I'll need to store the GTO until I am finished painting the 55 and put it down on the frame. That probably won't be until late summer. It's too hot to spray here right now. The paint will flash before I make it around the car. Oh well, it will give me some time to make up my parts list and get things ready. I find that my projects don't stall as easily if I have more parts on hand than I can install. Keeps me motivated to push ahead. Attempting a frame off project when funds allow hasn't really worked all that well for me in the past. So, I like to have the majority of the funds before I start.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09 LH cowl.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	59945   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 RH hind quarter.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	59953   Click image for larger version

Name:	11 RH rocker.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	59961   Click image for larger version

Name:	15 rear view.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	59969   Click image for larger version

Name:	16 door and fender.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	59977  

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Seems the body is in better starting condition than many. Considering putting a number on value, the lack of original engine is not going to hurt it that much, as date matching correct heads and correct coded dated blocks are out there. That is standard operating procedure in restoring such a rare car. Put anything else between the frame rails, and yes there is going to be a significant drop in value.

Can give a better idea of completed value to higher restoration standards, but need more info. You have noted PHS billing card notes Veduro green/ black, Ram Air engine, M21, HD STT, & 8 track. Is it a Pontiac plant car or a Baltimore build? what wheels? car come with PS? Any other options? Can you post a pic of the cowl tag, trying to understand what's going on there and when the car was built.

Last edited by Pinion head; 06-17-2015 at 09:24 AM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, I would say a RAV engine would be a suitable replacement for your missing RAII powerplant....

Found you a pair of RAII heads if you care to go back to original - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-68-GTO-...8d25fc&vxp=mtr

Also if I remember correctly if your car had a bench seat from the factory (mine did and still does) it would have not had the floor bracing to mount the bucket seats so if you still have the factory floor pan you would be able to tell. If it had a bench and four speed the 8 track would mount directly under the dash and not on the front of the console as in the bucket seat cars

Very interesting project and you have some great pictures and posts.

And you have a local salvage yard with 68 and 69 GTO convertibles in it?!?
psychodelicdan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in