New member trying to get head around finishing Judge restoration ... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New member trying to get head around finishing Judge restoration ...

what a mouthful ...

howdy friends - first post! sincerely appreciate opportunity ...

i'm 46, today actually!, and have owned my green 69' judge (raIII, 4sp) since 1982. except for rear end (long teenage story) car is completely numbers matching ...

my dad and i started a body-off-frame restoration around ten years ago. as it sits currently - car is painted and drive train is in (engine runs) ... except for some molding needing re-chroming and nose needing to be painted, most everything is done and all parts needed for completion are there. we need to install wiring, dash, whole interior etc etc.

basically my dad, who is a huge motor-head, has a pretty full-blown shop. thing is he has some health issues. there's also other life considerations ie time, distance between us (3 hr drive) and my 2.5 y/o boy!

if any of y'all have opinions regarding this scenario i'm all ears! i DO NOT want to sell car. i'd like to finish restoration, drive car, and pass it on to my son. what do you guys think i have left in terms of hours? what would i be looking at dollar wise to have someone complete job? i am comfortable working on cars btw.

i'm in metro boston area ...

again, i really appreciate the opportunity to post here.

best,
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome Mike, and happy birthday. I too have owned my 68 since 1982 and I am 44. Are you saying you have all the interior parts and that you need to install them and paint the nose and your done? Hard to have an idea without seeing what you are talking about. Posting some pics would help us help you.
Darrin
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelC View Post
my dad and i started a body-off-frame restoration around ten years ago. as it sits currently - car is painted and drive train is in (engine runs) ... except for some molding needing re-chroming and nose needing to be painted, most everything is done and all parts needed for completion are there. we need to install wiring, dash, whole interior etc etc.

basically my dad, who is a huge motor-head, has a pretty full-blown shop. thing is he has some health issues. there's also other life considerations ie time, distance between us (3 hr drive) and my 2.5 y/o boy!
Sounds like a great car. My recommendation? Plan on spending weekends at your dad's, and take your son with you. What an opportunity for him to learn from you, get to spend time with you and also your dad, and also for you and your dad to have more time together doing something you both love.

Family is important. Making the most of the time you have is important. Sharing things with people you love is important. "Finishing" is great, but it's not as important as those things.

I'll bet you a dollar against the hole of a rolling donut that nothing would make your dad (and you) happier.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
with bear, wish i had a son to help with mine, building it with you will give him the sense of ownership so when you pass it down he will have learned the respect for the car and the countless hours of work it takes to restore and keep these cars fresh. And it also helps to further the hobby with a new generation to help keep the nameplate alive as "they are'nt makin anymore"....welcome to the forum, and Happy Birthday... hit it on weekends and dive right in, all the guys on here can help answer any questions or problems you may run into. sounds like if you put your mind to it you could have it on the road this summer....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
, might just be what grandpa and grandson need! When he's able to drive the car he'll have those memories. Well, maybe not at 2 1/2...., but take pictures!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:05 PM

Welcome to the club.

One thing that you can do is mothball the engine. Park the resto for a couple of years. Tow the car to your house after a few years and start tinkering away. It has waited ten years already. In another 10 years your son will be 12 just the right age to start a project with dad.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:27 PM

Garage
I also agree with bear and others, do the project with your dad, he'll appreciate the time you spend there. And you will get quality time with your Dad. Get pics of your son with the car, so when you hand it down to him he will be into it. My buddy is building a 50 Merc for his older son, 31 Ford Coupe for his 14 y/o. I so wish my daughter was into cars, but she's not. She just got a truck and expressed an interest in working on it, so I'm happy. She turns 18 in June and graduates this year.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 PM

Howdy Mike, I have a good friend who has a 69' tripple black conv. GTO so I know what you are going through, little bit at a time I'd say. I'm almost 44 w/16 yo. son, I'd like to leave him sumthin' too in ths world when I'm gone. I feel the need, the need for speed I always say. I'm new to the forum also so if you'd like to add me as a friend then that would be pretty cool. I have a 65' Tempest custom conv. that I've spent every extra cent on in the last almost 4 years, its my pride and joy. My daddy gave it too me for my 40th b-day, better late than never hugh? Anyways, all I can say is just keep at it, enjoy the little things, and PONTIAC POWER RULES!!!!! The nearest I can tell, my car came from up north about where you are, have a good one and hit me back, later.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
welcome Nyte....
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with an earlier post about spending weekend time to "get her done".

You,your dad and son three generations working together ...... now that is cool!!

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in