new to old muscle - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new to old muscle

guys, this is my first pontiac and first old muscle car. I just bought a 67 lemans coupe (post) that appears to be in OK shape. it was kind of a barn find, guy that started on it (fresh 350 pontiac and 350 tranny) unfortunately it was owned by someone who wanted to make it a redneck show car...they failed. I will include a link to my streetfire pictures. first off, I'm new to carb's and pontiac motors, let alone old muscle cars.

I own a 684 RWHP 03 cobra that I have spared no expense on. so i'm not looking for major power or anything. I've been browsing the yearone group.

the motor has never been turned, in fact the plugs are still painted.

photo.JPG- Photo

I have more photo's since I pulled all the interior out and cleaned out the inside a bit. there is some rust on the floor boards and some very very small pinholes....but I believe I can cut the sheet metal out and weld in a plate. it has drums all around, I intend to replace that with a power disc front brake kit from year one by SSBC. should help it stop before she is even running. I have also gotten a wiring harness from painless performance.

let me say that this car will not be returned to factory, there was alot of damage done to factory components like the factory gauges, center console, and all of the interior was changed. although the interior did clean up really nicely, the red and black looks retarded to me. the car used to be blue. the car will need some paint although for the most part minus the hood being dinged and needing to replace the front end, everything appears to be in good order body wise. some very very minor surface rust behind the drivers side rear tire, but nothing a good sandblaster and a good paint job won't take care of.

I would like your opinions and what I should do first etc. let me say I have no idea what carb is on it, or what fuel pump to put on this 350 (vacuum) the fuel lines are no longer present so I will need to run new ones for that.

I'm wondering what I need to pay attention to while going through getting her back to a driveable condition.

i will be doing an autometer gauge package because I've got all of those laying around, and a hurst shifter for the T350. I'm wanting to do something else about the front seats, maybe a set of corbeau or something to that effect. would appreciate any help you guys would be willing to give me. or advice even. the only things I'm really set on at this point are the power discs, the gauge panel, and the hurst shifter...otherwise I have little to no idea where to begin. I am a good ford guy, built many stangs, but never a classic. I have a shop, so I usually have any tools needed to do the job.

also, I have been deployed for the last 3 1/2 years straight now. so I've got some cash to burn. but I'm still in the sandbox. should be home in 2 months. the car only had 60k miles on it when the gauges were removed.
Thanks for any help you guys can be.

also, what other sources are there than the year one group and my summit racing catalog?

Phillip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Phillip,
First, welcome to the forum and your first classic Pontiac.
For parts I really like Ames Performance. (amesperformance.com) They have a full online catalog so you can shop from anywhere with an internet connection, or you can download it in PDF and shop anytime you have computer access, which is great for me.
For the fuel pump, I would go to the local parts store and ask for the fuel pump for a '67 LeMans with a V8 (either 326 or 400 I think). It's probably the same as that used on most Pontiac V8s, since the block was externally the same for all the later V8s. Someone here who knows a little more can chime in. Anyway, for that reason you could probably use the stock fuel pump lines from a '67 LeMans with a V8, and I'm sure these are available from Ames and probably others.
As for what else to do, I recommend checking the gas tank, suspension, and also check out the rear brakes if you're not converting them. You want to have a safe ride when you start driving.
Other than that you'll just have to see what needs attention as you work.
Have fun!
Jeff

'68 GTO, 400/TH400, AC/PS/PB/PW/tilt, hideaways, Hurst dual gate
'72 442 'Vert, 350/TH350, AC/PS/PB/PW/tilt
'71 Javelin, 401/4-speed restomod
'74 Corvette, 383/4-speed, 450 hp, restomod *SOLD*
'70 Cougar XR7 'Vert, 351W/FMX auto *SOLD*
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

also, I didn't mention it, but yes the flames will be going away. and I've been debating the rear brake kit as well by SSBC....probably will though.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 AM

There have been lot's of debates over disc versus drum, especially in the rear, on this forum. Myself, I went with Baer Brakes Serious Street front disks, which fit under my 15" wheels, and left the rear drums alone. Stops straight and fast, plenty for my driving style. Your results may vary, as they say!
Jeff

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Jeff, does that setup come with the complete brake set minus hardlines (IE booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve etc?

I was interested in the baer as they are very similar to my cobra's brakes were from the factory (which are really good)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

also, sorry for the millions of questions, what kind of backspacing do I need for my wheels, you can see the wheels that are on the car are not great. I'm thinking of AMR torque thrust 2s in a 16x7 all around. wondering what my backspacing need will probably be? any ideas?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:37 AM

Phillip, Welcome to forum and the Pontiac world!! Great Find going to make a cool ride. Man somebody spend some money on that interior back in the day. Have the mice been in it. Got to love those barn finds!! Get home safe and enjoy!!!!..Les USA retired
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiavenom View Post
Jeff, does that setup come with the complete brake set minus hardlines (IE booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve etc?
The kit I bought was just hubs, brackets, calipers, pads, and hoses. Bolts right onto stock drum (or disc) spindles, uses factory hard lines, master cylinder, and booster. And I love the way they stop.

Regarding your wheel choice...consider stepping up to 17s. I put 16s on my Corvette about 10 years ago, and while I love the way they look there is not much tire selection in 16s anymore. Biggest drag radial I could get was a 255. If I had it to do over I would have gone ahead with the 17s. On the GTO I'm staying with 15s, at least for the time being. There is still a good selection of 15" tires, though not as much performance as the 17s.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

there have not been any mice in it (knock on wood) however a bird did get in and make a nest in the dash (obviously removed now)
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
welcome to pontiac land Phillip, on the backspacing you should be around 4-4 1/2" to be centered. i am at 3.5" and have an inch and a half at the shock mount and a half inch at the wheel well with 245/60-15's.... man if those seats clean up they would not look bad in a black car, otherwise legendary makes nice reproduction covers. I am doing a 66' Tempest post right now should be on the road by spring.....

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...966%20Tempest/

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in