New trunk floor - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So this is the 2nd replacement floor pan that I've received for my 1967 GTO and theres a large gap between the end of the trunk and the tail panel. Both pieces were this way. Am I missing something, like an extension, or is this just bad parts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181102_192743_1541212775933.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	667.0 KB
ID:	116157   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181102_192809_1541212794094.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	880.0 KB
ID:	116159  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 12:18 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David18 View Post
So this is the 2nd replacement floor pan that I've received for my 1967 GTO and theres a large gap between the end of the trunk and the tail panel. Both pieces were this way. Am I missing something, like an extension, or is this just bad parts?
Are you sure you are ordering the correct trunk floor pan? Why I ask is that in looking to find out what you should do, I ran across this website which shows a 1965 trunk floor that looks like the one you have. Check out this website and look at the picture for the 1964-'65 Trunk Floor Complete SKU 793-76CA $659.98 and then compare it to the 1966-'67 Trunk Floor Complete SKU TF05-66 $556.13. The SKU TF05-66 looks more like what you may need?

Now the problem looks like they also offer the 1966-'67 Pontiac Trunk Floor Complete right next to it using the same part number for the 1964-'65 trunk floor! So it may be a catalog screw up with their part numbers and you are not getting the correct floor for your '67.

https://www.c2cfabrication.com/colle...ts/trunk-floor
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

The first floor I recieved looked like TF 05-66 and it was short as well, the one I recieved today looks like the 76CA and it's short as well. They both are 2" short of the tail panel.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
That's way short at the tail panel, It appears they expect the user to leave most if not all of the "shelve" area in-place to use that pan.
This one shows the FULL shelve (for lack of a better term) area;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-GTO...5.c10#viTabs_0

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 10:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJUNIOR View Post
That's way short at the tail panel, It appears they expect the user to leave most if not all of the "shelve" area in-place to use that pan.

x2 - looks to be what you need. In searching for a video or pictorial on replacing the trunk pan, all had good shelf areas at the rear even if the tail light panel was rusty and replaced.

If it is simply a flat panel that extends off the trunk pan, I might just have a sheet metal shop cut me the size/shape I needed and weld it in to fit if that is an option.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJUNIOR View Post

x2 - looks to be what you need. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.gtoforum.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif[/IMG] In searching for a video or pictorial on replacing the trunk pan, all had good shelf areas at the rear even if the tail light panel was rusty and replaced.

If it is simply a flat panel that extends off the trunk pan, I might just have a sheet metal shop cut me the size/shape I needed and weld it in to fit if that is an option.
Unfortunately my tail panel and that shelf were unusable. I pretty much decided to keep the piece and modify it, like you said, its only a flat panel.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 03:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Unfortunately my tail panel and that shelf were unusable. I pretty much decided to keep the piece and modify it, like you said, its only a flat panel.
That's what I would have done. I would make a cardboard template of what I needed and then transfer that to your metal sheet. If you needed any bends, I might take it to a fab shop and let them break a clean bend for me so it looked factory.

While at it, how about a few pictures to share on what you wind up doing so that others can follow your lead should they wind up in the same situation.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Quote:
That's what I would have done. I would make a cardboard template of what I needed and then transfer that to your metal sheet. If you needed any bends, I might take it to a fab shop and let them break a clean bend for me so it looked factory.

While at it, how about a few pictures to share on what you wind up doing so that others can follow your lead should they wind up in the same situation. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.gtoforum.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif[/IMG]
Sure will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in