Off to the body shop! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Off to the body shop!

Last week I stripped the interior out (except for the door panels. Seriously, how do you get the window cranks off with that tool? ), took off the headlights, tail lamps and drove (yes, "drove") it onto the trailer Saturday and delivered it to the body shop. In 5 months I should have it back. I know he said 5 months, but I'm predicting 7-8. The shop is about 10 minutes from where I work so I'll be able to check on it periodically & take pictures of the progress.
They'll pull the engine & tranny this week and deliver it to the engine shop for a rebuild then pull the body off the frame, blast it and paint it.
I still have to get some panels and found the Endura front bumper & hood from Dyancorn, but am having trouble sourcing the trunk lid. I understand a '69 lid won't fit on my '68. Any suggestions?
Any other tips I should know about (before it's too late) while it's being painted?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1562.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	891.3 KB
ID:	14023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1564.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	785.3 KB
ID:	14024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1569.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	792.4 KB
ID:	14025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1571.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	845.9 KB
ID:	14026  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:25 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sounds very familiar, last year I dropped mine off at the body shop and was told 5 months, 11 months later I got the car back "almost" done, still need to take it back to be finished up (inclusions and unfinished details). I hope you have much better luck than I did with the time frame. See my thread titled "68 goes to the paint shop" if you want to follow my journey.
As for the window cranks, slide the tool in between the handle and the panel (or plastic thing if that's still there) align the tool with the handle direction, eiher directly underneith it or directly opposite the handle depending of which direction the clip was put on, then push toward the center until it pushes the clip off.
Aftermarket body panels don't fit worth a crap, your bodyman will have a lot of work going that route. Try going to swap meets and scouring this site and Perfomance Years forum under parts for sale. You are right the 68 deck lid is a one year only deal, hard to find and expensive. I have one that's a little better than yours but it has some rust holes clear through the corners. I have heard nothin but bad about aftermarket endura bumper replacements, ty hard to find a good one or fix the on you have.
What color are you going to paint it? Looks like it might have been Springmist green, that's a beautiful color.
Good luck and keep the pics coming.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Stop in the shop regularly to check the progress, keep an open line of communication as a resto contract is an evolving animal, have them give you a change order addendum estimate for any additional work they find needs done that will increase the price. Let them know from the beginning that you plan to be on top of this project from start to finish. It would have killed me to have my car in Limbo for 11 months....

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Good eye! Yes, it is Springmist green with vinyl top & black interior and I plan to repaint it that color despite my wife's suggestion of orange, red, black or dark green. Those colors look great, but I've never seen a Springmist green one in person and since it's the original color, I'm going with that.
Glad I asked about the panels. So you drop $400 and it doesn't even fit? I've called WI, CO, TX and AZ today trying to find a lid, but I'll widen the search for a hood & a bumper. The mounts on my bumper are rusted out and it's pretty tweaked so I don't think it's savable. On a side note, how easy are the front bumpers to get off? One of my customers has a '68 convertible sitting in a field he wants me to help sell and I believe the bumper is in good shape.
My guy works on one car at a time and has invited me to stop by as often as possible so I'll be sure to do that. If it takes this long to find the body parts, it may work out if it takes longer to paint it!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Found this bumper out in CA on eBay. Anyone have any experience with them? Seems like a decent price compared to what I've seen.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Looks like a nice bumper, hard to beat a warranty but its gonna cost you some money with shipping.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM

seller seems legitimate- read the feedbacks not one negative or unhappy customer- and some spent A LOT of money- try The Parts Place for the lid Muscle Car Parts, Pontiac GTO Parts, NOS GM Auto Part, Trans AM, Oldsmobile 442 Cutlass, Buick GS Skylark, Firebird, Bonneville, Grand Prix, Catalina, Olds 88 98, Starfire, Chroming, Polishing, Welding, Stainless Steel Straightening, Aluminum, Restor or Bethels Goat Farm 888-999-7876

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlambeauHO View Post
Looks like a nice bumper, hard to beat a warranty but its gonna cost you some money with shipping.
I hear you, but some of the ones I'm finding are from $700 to $1,000 AND need to be finished. Not to mention a repro is going to run me about $500 with shipping and from what I'm learning, may not fit very well.
Yes, the 2 year warranty is nice and I just called them and they were pretty friendly & helpful.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sounds good to me! Hope mine is useable, it looks good but I am still a month or two away from working it over.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

I pulled the trigger on the bumper and found a trunk lid on eBay (link below) that looks good, but he wants $350 for it before freight. Is this reasonable? Should I keep looking? I see repro ones in OPGI go for $380+ before freight, but no one has a '68 and I've called everywhere from CA, AZ and TX to IL, MD and MI. One wanted $1,200 for a lid that was primed! Wow!

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in