Operation Swiss Cheese - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Operation Swiss Cheese

Got my first Pontiac for my first frame off restore. Its a 1966 LeMans. The body panels are decent with the exception of Driver side quarter. It was stored with the top down so the entire floor needs to be replaced along with frame work. It currently has a 73 400 that needs a rebuild with a 2 speed tranny I believe.

I don't intend to restore to stock but rather more of a pro-touring daily driver. Should be a fun LONG project to learn on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cominghome.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	75938  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, it sounds like you're describing my car. LOL Looks like we're both in for the long haul. Good luck to us both.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I'm trying to get a game plan on what to do first. I was going to first separate the body and frame and build a roll-over jig for the body. My concern with this is that the floor and trunk are shot and i'm worried that if removing from the frame first, it might distort the body. Is it a valid concern? Should I just cut out the rotted floor and put in the new floor and then remove it from the frame and finish up the bottom or just remove the frame and then tackle the floor?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Keith

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raposak View Post
I'm trying to get a game plan on what to do first. I was going to first separate the body and frame and build a roll-over jig for the body. My concern with this is that the floor and trunk are shot and i'm worried that if removing from the frame first, it might distort the body. Is it a valid concern? Should I just cut out the rotted floor and put in the new floor and then remove it from the frame and finish up the bottom or just remove the frame and then tackle the floor?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Keith
I was told to replace the floor while attached to the frame so nothing warps. This makes the most sense to me.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

First weekend actually working on Swiss Cheese. Got the floor removed only to find out I need inner rocker panels. All of the body mounts in the center were completely gone so it was sagging bad in the middle. I decided the best bet would be to brace it and remove it from the frame so I can first replace the inner rocker panels then put the floor in. Removed front end in preparation. Hopefully have it off the frame next weekend.

Here is my photo album

https://goo.gl/photos/EZNRcMNQPFfQotxc9
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Me and my boys manage to get the body off the frame today. Let the fun begin. Turns out i'm going to have to replace the inner rockers, complete floor, trunk along with all body mounts and various patches to wheel wells. The frame also needs some attention. Does anyone know what gauge steel the frame is? i'm going to have to repair some rust holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0471.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	470.6 KB
ID:	76682  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in