1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Package Shelf

Hi Y’all
Finally getting to my project. The package shelf is pretty much toast. Any ideas on where to buy a new one or a good cut out from a junk yard?
Thanks
Perry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I believe a company called REM makes them. The new ones aren't very costly but the shipping may get you.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
If you're not that worried about 100% original, you can make one pretty easily. That's what I did on my '69. I used the old one as a template, cut a new one out of a thin piece of masonite, added oval cutouts for the rear sound system speakers I'm using, then covered the whole thing in a relatively fine mesh black speaker grille cloth. It looks very good.

Bear
1968gto421 likes this.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I need to be more specific. What I need is the metal that creates the package shelf along with the bracing down to the floorpan. The big Sheetmetal Sellers don’t have a replacement. I was also wondering if the metal package shelf from a 1967 Chevelle would work?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:20 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiandfast View Post
Thanks for the replies. I need to be more specific. What I need is the metal that creates the package shelf along with the bracing down to the floorpan. The big Sheetmetal Sellers donít have a replacement. I was also wondering if the metal package shelf from a 1967 Chevelle would work?
You may find it here: https://www.frankspontiacparts.com/
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I need to be more specific. What I need is the metal that creates the package shelf along with the bracing down to the floorpan. The big Sheetmetal Sellers don’t have a replacement. I was also wondering if the metal package shelf from a 1967 Chevelle would work?
Had this issue with a 69 gto a few years ago. If nothing has changed which I don't think it has you will not find a direct replacement . Just not made for gto . Why I don't know. But I can tell you the Chevelle is snd is very close and are sold . Best luck . Finding a used good one is like finding a neddle in a hay stack Doug
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd68gto View Post
Quote:
Had this issue with a 69 gto a few years ago. If nothing has changed which I don't think it has you will not find a direct replacement . Just not made for gto . Why I don't know. But I can tell you the Chevelle is snd is very close and are sold . Best luck . Finding a used good one is like finding a neddle in a hay stack Doug
Sorry thought this would be a good start for you. Like I said not the same but it gives you a good start . https://www.summitracing.com/parts/amd-640-3468/
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I have talked to all the junkyards that sell Pontiac parts. So far no luck. I might try Doug’s idea and modify the 67 Chevelle package tray. I’m still open to any and all ideas out there. Thanks again, Perry
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I have talked to all the junkyards that sell Pontiac parts. So far no luck. I might try Doug’s idea and modify the 67 Chevelle package tray. I’m still open to any and all ideas out there. Thanks again, Perry
I search every where when we did the 69. They are just not out there or you will find it's as bad as yours or worse . Once in you can't see it except getting in trunk and looking at it . Unless your doing a # 1 Concourse car the Chevelle is the fix and many have used . Good luck Doug
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 PM

Try auto metal direct, i found one for my 69 gto there. Almost a perfect fit and very similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in