part out or sell whole? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
part out or sell whole?

I have a 68 GTO automatic with air that I am slowly picking apart what are some opinions to sell off all the a/c stuff. I have everything in great condition including the metal dash panel,dash pad , All the ducting, air box, controls,vacuum,wiring evap case,compressor ,brackets, etc. Do I try to sell it all off in pieces or sell the entire package to someone looking to convert over to factory air. I could even cut out the firewall section at the evap case. What would it all be worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 03:03 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Hard call. All at once would be easier, but maybe more money to part it out.....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Would be better to sell complete IF someone wanted to go original. With todays Vintage Air add-on kits, you get a modern set-up that bolts in. A purist who is trying to keep his car original might not add air if it did not come with it and the guy who is not so traditional would most likely go aftermarket.

That said, you can advertise parts & pieces, but my experience is that people don't want to pay high prices even though you will see high prices for the same items you have to sell. Then in selling it by the piece, you may only sell 1 item or two, now you have all the other items and you have to store them and keep advertising in hopes you can sell them off. Then there is the time and cost to ship.

Now if you want to move the items, you have to sell them reasonably priced.......and that may turn out to be whatever someone is willing to pay you and not what you thought it was worth. Perhaps some items you can sell as a group or pair.

Not trying to discourage you, just my personal experience. I would not toss them out either. I'd at least see what I might be able to sell. Advertise it complete, then if you don't get any bites, go for individual items.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice need more posts!

Think I will try to sell it complete ... too bad GTO forum rules forbid me to sell stuff unless I have 20 "real" posts... that's a lot when your a new member trying to sell some stuff to keep a project going. OK so does anyone else have any comments that I can address or respond to by post? I understand we do not want this site turning into Craigs list but I've been restoring cars and boats my whole life just dont have any other "REAL" questions or comments to make at this very moment ........ so I guess I will have to sort out the scammers on Craigs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 AM

Garage
Frank, so why are you dumping the AC on your 68? Matt

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Frank are you restoring the 68 or are you parting the whole car?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Icon Difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrp View Post
Think I will try to sell it complete ... too bad GTO forum rules forbid me to sell stuff unless I have 20 "real" posts... that's a lot when your a new member trying to sell some stuff to keep a project going. OK so does anyone else have any comments that I can address or respond to by post? I understand we do not want this site turning into Craigs list but I've been restoring cars and boats my whole life just dont have any other "REAL" questions or comments to make at this very moment ........ so I guess I will have to sort out the scammers on Craigs.
Frank, The 20 post rule has worked here very well and I would hope that you would appreciate the fact that this site isn't full of fly by night scammers hoping to rip off our members.

Oh, and the mods on here are hip to post padding so don't think you can get on the new member introductions and say "hi" or get on someone's thread and say "nice car". We're serious about catering to members who have a true love and passion for Pontiacs.

Feel free to comment on that.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
Frank, The 20 post rule has worked here very well and I would hope that you would appreciate the fact that this site isn't full of fly by night scammers hoping to rip off our members.

Oh, and the mods on here are hip to post padding so don't think you can get on the new member introductions and say "hi" or get on someone's thread and say "nice car". We're serious about catering to members who have a true love and passion for Pontiacs.

Feel free to comment on that.
I will. I think it is an excellent policy. I notice a lot less fools here than other Pontiac sites I have been too, and I was hesitant to join here myself.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

to ALKYGTO

That is exactly why I posted this thread ... to abide by the rules. I am much too busy to surf the internet and make silly comments or waste anyones time thinking up silly questions or offering bad advice just to be able to sell.My prmary reason for joining is to help or get help in restoring my current project but as I said a part of the whole process is trading stuff to keep the project going.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

reply to replies

I am restoring a 68 4spd no-air gto and cannibalizing a 68 automatic with air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in