Por 15 adhesion need input - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Por 15 adhesion need input

So now that the stuff has had several days to dry I have been doing some testing in different areas. Bottom line is that I am not thrilled with the adhesion of the POR15. All areas that were hit with a wire wheel and made too smooth were then sanded with 40 grit and prepped with the metal ready as prescribed. Its not that the stuff is peeling off in sheets or anything but scraping gingerly with a razor peels it up a little too easily. In contrast to the paint that was there from the factory which is hell to get off I am just not thrilled. This leaves me with a conundrum, I can change to something else for the rest of the undercarriage, but do I leave the POR15 even though rust may start underneath it? My prep work took a month for 1/3 of the undercarriage and I am pretty pissed . I have no way to get the body off nor any desire at this point. It will come off next time around most assuredly. I am tempted to clean the rest down to paint, scuff and hit with undercoating but I do not want to leave anything that is going to mask rust down the road. Car will likely never see the rain again but I live in FL very close to the ocean...and salt. Ideas? sentiments? suggestions? commiserations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the instructions on the can say that por15 likes a surface with "some tooth". when i used it the first time i did the same thing as you. it peels right off of clean new metal and rusty metal that has been polished with a wire wheel. now i use it in places that i dont care what they look like but i want to stop the rust. floors, inside wheel houses, inside doors, inside fenders etc. i run a scuff pad over the surface to knock off anything loose then brush right over the rest. i think it is probably the most misused product on the market. i have applied it to old parts and left them outside as sort of a test and was very pleased with the results over a long period of time.

used correctly your month of prep work should have been about 5-10 minutes. and the results would have been better.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I've always wondered why people use stuff like POR 15. But then, I'm in California, so rust out is not a big issue. The factory never used Por15, just good old paint and sound deadener/sealer. That's all I use, myself. Holds up great and easy to touch up with a rattle can. Don't even get me started on powder coating!!!!!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 AM

Garage
Question, in 40+ years paint technology has come a long way right?

Is there good reason to use a sealant like POR 15 all over a car? Key words here being all over. My 69 has been undercoated and there is a POR 15 like substance all over the trunk, floorboards and under the dash. (ALL OVER - and poorly applied I might add)

I can see using it in the trunk and inside doors and package tray ...etc, places that were a design weakness and could use a little extra protection. But wouldn't a quality paint job cover most of us?

Like Flambeau says this car will likely never see any real weather again, certainly not road salt. So what's real and what's imagined need for protection?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

So do I leave the trunk pan and monitor it? Think i will ospho the rest and spray with epoxy primer.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacpurebrred View Post
Like Flambeau says this car will likely never see any real weather again, certainly not road salt. So what's real and what's imagined need for protection?
Thats what we often forget, exactly why i left the 45 year old undercoating on, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". When these cars came from the factory they were not perfect, i have a run in my firewall that is factory applied, still had the grease pencil assembly line markings....I left it there, it's original. the undercarriages were the same way after 7 bags of coarse sand i decided i like the undercoating, no way was i gonna scrape every inch of something that no one else but me will see up close. Treat the rust, epoxy it and call it good...i used epoxy on the front engine bay frame rails where they were not coated, it's chemical and solvent proof and hard as ceramic.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
The factory never used Por15, just good old paint and sound deadener/sealer.
yep thats all you need. just ask all the guys with rust from the door handles down.

if you look in a lot of the cracks and crevices they didnt use anything but bare metal. if you would have asked john delorean how he thought that was gonna hold up after 50 years, he would have probably fell on the floor laughing.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

So all that is left is to decide what to do with the POR15 that is down. Do I leave it and hope that it doesn't rust underneath? Or try to remove it?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66tempestGT View Post
yep thats all you need. just ask all the guys with rust from the door handles down.

if you look in a lot of the cracks and crevices they didnt use anything but bare metal. if you would have asked john delorean how he thought that was gonna hold up after 50 years, he would have probably fell on the floor laughing.

Hey these cars are still here...After my grandfather passed away I took he 84 nissan (that spent most of it's life in a garage) to get new tires on it so my brother could drive it to his place in Nebraska ... when they put it on the lift it taco'd in the middle because the FRAME had rusted so badly it was no longer structurally sound.

I will take my USA vintage steel with rusted floorboards and trunk any day!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Thanks for the new expession, Purebred. Never heard "taco'd" before, but is certainly says it all. Sorry about your grandfather. Flambeau, I would touch up the por15 areas and move on. the reality is, even if left bare metal, under your ownership and care, that sheetmetal will outlast us all. No worries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in