Por-15 heads up! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs down Por-15 heads up!

One of the first things I put POR-15 on a few months back when I started my restoration was the hood hinges. Talk about looking brand spanking new. I was proud how they turned out. Well Friday evening my painter was bolting the hood on to align the front body panels and tried to shut the hood and it would not shut. No damage done to the hood thank god! But the POR-15 had pretty much dried so hard it welded the hinge in the "open" position. After removing the hinge he beat the hell out of it with a sledge and was able to eventually get it to free up. The POR-15 didnt chip and wouldnt break though! Its some pretty damn durable stuff. Now my plan is to actually take him 2 more painted hinges and not use the ones with POR-15 on them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah I saw the demo of that stuff at Car Craft last year. It would actually dent before it would chip. I bought some to coat my floor pans with in my Camaro. Good stuff!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:52 PM

I did my entire frame, firewall, rearend, front upper and lower control arms in gloss black POR-15. I know it is not "correct" but it looks good! It is like powdercoating in a can, very durable. I am going to paint the inner fenders and core support in the semi-gloss "chassis black". The key is proper prepwork, I followed the instructions on the can and it is on there for good!!

1969 GTO
NUMBERS MATCHING
PAWN SHOP FIND
1947 MGTC
GRANDFATHER STARTED
RESTORATION IN 1980...

"You can have it all, my emipre of dirt. I will let you down, I will make you hurt"
NIN

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ya, I guess I wouldn't put it on any moving parts, or where you need a good ground. May not want to coat it over bolts that may need to be removed either. Speculating the bolts could get welded to whatever after it dried.

Since we're on the topic, what do you guys use to clean a brush? The can says use POR15 solvent(doh!), how about gasoline or paint thinner(guessing the thinner may not touch it)? Any ideas?

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM

It says on the can not to get it in the seal of the lid. My can came already sealed up like that. I dont doubt for a minute that is stuck hinges in the open position.

I use regular lacquer thinner to get it off my hands and other things I dont want it on, BEFORE it dries. Once its dry, its on there and nothing short of a grinder is going to get it off. I stopped by the Dollar Store and picked up a few packs of assorted brushes for $2 each. Usually its easier to just chuck them than it is to get enough of it out so you can use it again.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Former Moderator

Thanks Thump. I will be laying on my back to apply. Long sleeves, goggles, hat and a handkerchief to cover my face will be in order. Maybe gloves too.

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Pertronix Ignitor III
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
i buy boxes of the nitride gloves at harbor freight....peel and toss 100 pair for like 8 bucks
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 PM

absolutely, cheap brushes then throw them away. i use something like an icepick to punch a hole in the lid. when im done i put a screw in the hole. i have never been able to get a lid off after the first time. if you have a beer fridge in your shop keep it in there, it will last longer.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
i buy boxes of the nitride gloves at harbor freight....peel and toss 100 pair for like 8 bucks
That's the kind I was thinking about. Use them once then toss them.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66tempestGT View Post
absolutely, cheap brushes then throw them away. i use something like an icepick to punch a hole in the lid. when im done i put a screw in the hole. i have never been able to get a lid off after the first time. if you have a beer fridge in your shop keep it in there, it will last longer.
Beer fridge? Heck, I put leeches, modeling glue in the wifes new stainless fridge. What's a can of POR15??? Although, there might be an odor factor. Leeches don't smell too good after they've been dead for awhile. At least they're in a sealed container. Don't smell until you open the lid. Whew! I also clean fish on the counter. I guess after 18 years, the wife has given up.....

Here's part of our kitchen. Took the pic awhile ago after I installed the backsplash. Boy did I get off track on the subject matter...

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Pertronix Ignitor III
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66tempestGT View Post
Isn't that mandatory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in