power brakes what to buy??? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
power brakes what to buy???

ok so I am looking to convert the 67 gto to power disc brakes but like I said before in a diff. post I am new to this. I see most of the kits in the OPGI catalogs are Front Disc brake kits or rear kits like the BAER brand or Wilwood. I also seen that most of these kits require 16 inch or larger wheels for clearance. Most of these kits run about $1400 to $1800 for a kit of front or rear. I can just by a kit that that has all 4 disc brakes and is there a standard size I should look for. I have the 14 inch rally II tires now and they look small so I was thinking of getting bigger rims. any feed back would help and thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chivo View Post
ok so I am looking to convert the 67 gto to power disc brakes but like I said before in a diff. post I am new to this. I see most of the kits in the OPGI catalogs are Front Disc brake kits or rear kits like the BAER brand or Wilwood. I also seen that most of these kits require 16 inch or larger wheels for clearance. Most of these kits run about $1400 to $1800 for a kit of front or rear. I can just by a kit that that has all 4 disc brakes and is there a standard size I should look for. I have the 14 inch rally II tires now and they look small so I was thinking of getting bigger rims. any feed back would help and thanks again.
go to a salvage yard and buy front spindles and brakes for any 68-72 gm a body car for 200-300 bucks and install it in one day and be done with it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just did a 4wdb kit from "the right stuff" folks...kit had several errors (mis stamped parts, bad directions etc) but the people at the factory were very good. Had a bad proportioning valve (instantly warantied) and gave good guidance on solving the "no vacuum because I have a moderate cam" problem (vacuum pump).

I have 15" rally 1 wheels from Ames and it now stops suprisingly well for a pile of detroit iron.

Buy a good brake line flare tool and bender and do your own lines or have a pro do it. Don't buy prebent ones....

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 PM

depends on what you want to do and budget. my baer should be here in the next 4-5 days. I went through a place called matts classic customs, they listened to everything I was saying about my application, and what I wanted and put together a kit, the lady asked me a few questions and we were on our way. not cheap though. got the prebent stainless lines specific to my car, softlines, distribution block, vacuum booster and mastercylinder, 4 pistons up front, plus rear kit to match. no adjustments have to be made from a proportioning valve, it's all preset to your order. set me back 3500 total.

give them a call and see what they can do for your. I'm extremely performance oriented and money isn't real tight for me, so when I do them, I try to get the best I can. I have a huge stack of boxes from yearone, summit, jeg's, and now Matt's. there will be others before I ever really get started on the car. if your interested, shoot me a PM and I'll get together on my invoices so you can have part numbers. just let me know.

matt's website is http://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/

If I'm breaking a rule posting link, please remove mods.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
if you plan to change rims, then go aftermarket brakes. But if you keep the 14s, then go the later factory GM model single caliper setup. Cheaper to do, and easy to get parts at any auto store.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 PM

Garage
I redid everything on my 70, rotors, calipers, booster and Delco Master cylinder. Car stops like a champ. I bought the spindle conversion kit for my 66 at Daytona for $150. Then you use all the stock components to get away from the drums.
Are you really going to drive the car hard enough to justify $3500 worth of brakes? I'm not, I don't see any of my cars competing on track days..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

yea this wont be a daily driver maybe fri sat sun. as for the cost i figured around 2k for the front and back. I will change out the rims but thats not tell later. thanks for tips guys
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chivo View Post
yea this wont be a daily driver maybe fri sat sun. as for the cost i figured around 2k for the front and back. I will change out the rims but thats not tell later. thanks for tips guys
You'll have to change the rims as soon as you put the brakes on, the 14's won't fit.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:29 PM

I went with Baer Brakes Super Street system in the front, fits behind 15" wheels with no problems. Easy install, great performance, and I think it was around $900 with everything needed to convert from drum to disk. Looks good, too, with the drilled and slotted rotors and nice aluminum calipers. I left rear drums stock, I don't see a need to upgrade the rear given the weight distribution of the car and my plans for driving the car (cruising mostly).
That being said, if my car had been a stock disk brake car I would have left it stock, I think the stock system is fine for typical use on these cars. I converted my '71 Javelin to front disk with a stock set of parts, mostly because I couldn't find a reasonably priced aftermarket kit, but those stock brakes work great.
Jeff

'68 GTO, 400/TH400, AC/PS/PB/PW, hideaways, Hurst dual gate
'72 442 'Vert, 350/TH350, AC/PS/PB/PW
'74 Corvette, 383/4-speed, 450 hp, restomod
'71 Javelin, 304/3-speed
'70 Cougar XR7 'Vert, 351W/FMX auto *SOLD*
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can find an A body for the life of me. Every place I've called has said they crushed their older cars. Anyone know a place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in