Question about 1970 GTO rear deck spoiler - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question about 1970 GTO rear deck spoiler

I have been looking for an original spoiler to put on my 1970 GTO now undergoing a frame off resto. I came across a listing for a NOS spoiler on a dealer website. I have seen photos of this item and it is described as an early year, lightweight spoiler. Dealer states there were two early versions of the spoiler that were discontinued due to easy breakage when the hood was slammed hard and that the majority of 1970 GTO's were then outfitted with a much heavier version. The photos show a single piece construction. I thought all the spoilers for the GTO were of 3 piece construction and can find no info on an early year, lightweight single piece spoiler. The spoiler does have a weep hole in it and appears old but never painted.

Anyone have any info on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
That is a tough question to answer. I have never heard about an early or late type spoiler. I always thought they were all the same. I believe I have heard that the trunk torsion bars on some of the earlier spoiler cars were a bit weak to keep the trunk open and stronger ones were installed.

This might be a question for a specialty shop that restores concours type GTO's or Judges. I don't know if there should be any part numbers found on an original spoiler or not. I would do more investigation before shelling out any big money on a part that cannot be confirmed. Hate to see it be some kind of old repro piece.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your being played, there is no early & late spoiler. The so called light weight spoilers are the aftermarket ones that are JUNK !!! It is not an early spoiler it's just a junk after market spoil;er he's trying to find someone who's stupid & want a spoiler that they think is special. After all why would you buy a spoiler that he's already telling you its going to break when you put it on your car. Don't do it it's junk . Buy a good one from one of the dealers but not NPD. They sell the junk light weight ones all the time & won't take them back when you get it & it's already broken when you get it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the info guys.

Still looking I guess!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 12:20 AM

Did the original 1970 GTO rear spoiler come in three piece? We're the 1970 and 1971 original GTO rear spoiler the same? Vernon
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Yes and yes.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 PM

Thank you. Did the three pieces come glued together as one unit. Also is there a weep hole for moisture to escape
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in