Question... Want to Clone My 71 lemans to GTO. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question... Want to Clone My 71 lemans to GTO.

I have a 1971 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible, I am wanting to clone it to a GTO. My question is, what would I need to do cosmetic wise to clone it to a GTO ? I know I would need the endura bumper, hood, rear bumper, what else is there ? Emblems ? Decals ? ? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:42 PM

Garage
Back in highschool I put a GTO clip on my 71 Lemans, front clip was $100 with hood, fenders and core support. Got the rear end out of it, 3.55 posi, boxed lowers and sway bar for $75.. But I was only making $2.75 an hour, so inflation must be added.. I only paid $125 for the 71 Lemans Sport!! Anyway, I'd try to find a donor car and save yourself tons of money.
Rear bumper is the same. Fill panel may be different, cut outs for the dual tips.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
.........and if you find a donor car, it'll BE a GTO, and you would be money ahead building it instead. Who knows, though. If you can get the parts, it's an easy project. Heck, go all the way. Make it a Judge! Jetstang, back when I was making $2.75 per hour or thereabouts, my buddy wrecked his Cameo Ivory '67 GTO the first day he got it. We went down to the wrecking yard, and got the entire front clip, including the radiator and AC condensor, for $100. It was even the same color!! Bolted it up and away we went.....Those were the days....I remember that there would be 3-5 GTO's in just about every junkyard I went to. Sigh....

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
.........and if you find a donor car, it'll BE a GTO, and you would be money ahead building it instead.
That isn't necessarily true. If his car is in good condition and he just wants to cloan a goat he could arguably find a donor car that isn't worth restoring, but has the parts that he needs to convert his in a condition that he could work with.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 04:09 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Good point...I agree!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

I would like to make it a judge clone. If Im gonna clone it, might as well go all the way. LOL.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 PM

I bought a bent 72 GTO back in 86, it took me until 97 to find the rust free hood, fenders, and headlight buckets, I found a slightly bent 71 GTO bumper in a junk yard in 87, but the rest of the car was done. Ive had offers over $1k for the front fenders and a bit more for the hood. The days of $100 front clips is long gone. Good luck finding the T41 stuff.

I would leave it a LeMans, they are cool too. Even going to a 70 GTO front would be expensive, if you can find the bumper. You can get most of the 70 parts aftermarket. Unless you want to go fiberglass, then its a bit easier. VFN sells a one piece for $775 or thereabouts. Aftermarket 70 front fenders are around $500 each, and $500 for the hood. GM fenders were bringing stupid money for a while there for 70-72 because each year is unique to the GTO.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Dang, you're right. I did some more research and I am gonna have to come up with some good money to make it a nice clone. I didn't realize how much money I would have to drop in it to clone it. Maybe I should just leave it as a lemans sport. Im putting the car in the paint shop this week. Currently the exterior is black with yellow stripes, I do not want to go back to the yellow racing stripes, but being that my interior is custom yellow/black I need some yellow on the exterior. Any suggestions on a pin striping or something for the exterior ?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectszero View Post
Dang, you're right. I did some more research and I am gonna have to come up with some good money to make it a nice clone. I didn't realize how much money I would have to drop in it to clone it. Maybe I should just leave it as a lemans sport. Im putting the car in the paint shop this week. Currently the exterior is black with yellow stripes, I do not want to go back to the yellow racing stripes, but being that my interior is custom yellow/black I need some yellow on the exterior. Any suggestions on a pin striping or something for the exterior ?
Judge stripes dude.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

well, I actually ordered the Judge Stripes from ebay , cost me right at $302.00. It's just that Im not sure to go ahead and put the stripes on, even though Im not following through with the cloning process , or if it would be best to just do some pin stripping of some sort. It really does need some yellow on the exterior, interior has a lot of yellow that the previous owner customized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in