Removing 66 body from frame - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Removing 66 body from frame

I am about to attempt lifting the body of my 66 lemans from the frame so I can prep and paint the firewall and frame. The car was running and driving until I decided to do this so the engine, transmission, gas tank, break lines etc. are still attached. I don't think I'll have any trouble disconnecting the wiring harness, break lines and accelerator line, but I have no idea how to disconnect the steering column or what to do with the floor shifter (automatic turbo 400). I am hoping I don't have to completely remove the shifter from the transmission because I don't want to take the chance of screwing up the transmission. Can anyone tell me how to go about this and the removal of the steering column? Also will I have to remove the gas tank or rear suspension or anything like that? I am hoping to do as little disassembly of the mechanical parts as possible so that I can put the body back on and and get back to driving the car in little to no time. Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
On the steering you can remove the bolts from the rag joint just above the gear box without removing the column, transmission is controlled by a cable which can be disconnected as well as the kick-down wire, you should not have to remove the shifter.

Before doing anything I would attempt to remove the 2 body bolts attached to the trunk floor braces. If the cage nuts break and spin you now will have a major project on your hands.

JMHO

Randy

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Awesome thanks for the reply. I will be attempting this today. The goal is to get the body off this weekend. Hopefully all goes well.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Well I got the body separated from the frame today. I gotta say it was quite nerve racking, knowing how old the bolts and bushings were and hoping none of them broke or spun around in the body mounts. Luckily none of that happened and all 14 bolts (seems like and excessive amount to me) came out quite easily with an air powered impact gun and lots of deep creep lubricant. The body is resting on a hoist right now, I will roll the frame out and place the body on a stand as soon as I get the stand built. I'm just grateful I have the opportunity to use my friends body shop and tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in