Restoring a 1965 GTO convertible tri power - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Attached are a few pictures of the main electrical setup I installed (MAD Electronics) :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery wiring.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	107922   Click image for larger version

Name:	power bus.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	107930   Click image for larger version

Name:	solenoid placement.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	107938  

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

So I spent a fair bit of time on the the intake manifold, valley pan, carbs, and heater box (along with pulleys and brackets), but I think they came out nicely so the time was well spent .

The manifold and valley pan were primed with a DHT ceramic enamel and then painted with the Pontiac Blue (Duplicolor) - two coats of primer and three coats of color.

The carbs were rebuilt with the help of a wonderful and inexpensive kit from Pontiac Tri Power 1959 -1965 Rebuild Kits (3) | Pontiac Tripower. The carb rebuild was rather straight forward, but the prep time to disassemble and clean the old carbs took a lot of time, TLC, and patience. Prior to putting the carbs back together, I painted them to best mimic the factory finish. I know some will object, but again, in my humble opinion they look great. (As of typing, I have not fired up the car, but I cannot wait to see how it runs and whether the bog has been eliminated. I will be checking the jetting with a wideband, and using the wideband for idle mixture.)

The heater box was a mess and required a fair bit of sanding (more than I suspected on the inside and was a real pain in the a$$). On the inside of the heater box I used an Eastwood rustproofing spray designed for frame rails (long tube to get inside) and then a two step process on the outside (Eastwood Rust Eliminator + Eastwood Satin). Again, I think it looks a ton better than it did before....

Finally, I stripped, sanded, and painted the pulleys and brackets using the DHT enamel primer and DHT semi-gloss enamel engine paint. These came out OK, not great (and I re-did twice). Not sure why, but the paint was reacting and kept wrinkling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	intake manifold painted.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	110993   Click image for larger version

Name:	valley pan painted.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	111001   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater box painted.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	111009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebuilt carbs.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	111017   Click image for larger version

Name:	painted brackets.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	111025  

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie

Last edited by cij911; 05-11-2018 at 10:03 PM.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Looks nice cij, thank you for sharing and enjoy your classic when you finish it.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 02:41 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
cij911: "Finally, I stripped, sanded, and painted the pulleys and brackets using the DHT enamel primer and DHT semi-gloss enamel engine paint. These came out OK, not great (and I re-did twice). Not sure why, but the paint was reacting and kept wrinkling."

PJ: Welcome to the world of EPA reformulated spray bomb paints. I created a thread on just this subject. Very frustrating trying to get a smooth good finish if you spray the paint like we used to. Yep, looks great, nice and glossy/shiny so you go and spray another top coat, or even clear to get some depth, and you watch the paint "crinkle" and "craze" on you once nice part. Sanding it down to get rid of the defect and respraying only brings the poor qualities back, or worse, adds a few more of the imperfections you were just trying to get out! LOL

Here is what I learned. Spray your paint, let it stand about 5 minutes to dry slightly, and then hit it with another coat - being careful not to overload the paint so you get runs, but not too little that you get a dry spray look either. If you want to clear it, wait another 5 minutes and hit it with clear.

It used to be you would wait about 20-30 minutes for the paint to dry a little and then re-spray -this does not work with these paints. And if you think the primer should help, it doesn't. Tried several different types. What I found best is the metal etching spray bomb primer. It is a green in color when sprayed. It will dull out to more of a flat green when it gets near to being dried out - doesn't take too long. When you see the change, hit it with your color coats as above.

The other way is to spray your color and then let it sit for about 2 weeks so that ALL the slow drying solvents evaporate and the paint hardens. Then you can put another cover coat or clear on, but again, not too heavy or guess what?

I found spray bombing my brackets & pulleys very frustrating and had to fight with them to get a good finish. I finally accepted that a few were going to have to be OK with the minor blemishes and I don't suspect too many people will see them anyway - its just that I know about them. LOL

The other option is purchasing paint from the local autobody/paint supplier and spray painting with a spray gun. I have all the equipment to do this, but didn't care to go through all that just for brackets & pulleys as mine is not a show car and spray bomb was cheaper and more convenient.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

PJ - Exactly the same experience here....I too finally settled, but my OCD may have me back at them again soon. I will just have to see what it looks like when everything is back and assembled.

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Well the engine bay is coming together....

I have the engine, valley pan, intake manifold painted and reinstalled. I also added phenolic spacers and new carb studs to eliminate any chance of fuel evaporation (bowl).

I have the rebuilt carbureutors installed.

I have cleaned up the 10 dn alternator and re-installed.

I have added a Holley fuel regulator with gauge (the tri powers like to run on 3 psi !!!).

I have cleaned up the radiator core support and surrounding area.

The steering gear box is out and a rebuilt unit with ~12.7:1 will be going in - this should really help steering feel.

I may rebuild the steering pump before re-installing (I painted it already).

I will be touching up the fender liners and firewall.

Attached is a before and after picture .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Motor front prior to paint.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	112409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor front.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	113585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor drivers side.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	113593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor passenger angle.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	113601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor from top.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	113609  

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie

Last edited by cij911; 06-11-2018 at 09:25 PM.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Added a new fuel pump, rubber lines, and fuel tank.

I think she is now ready for paint.....

I've been waiting for this day for a long, long time (well not that long).....So now the debate is what color....

Original was Mission Beige and while I have seen some nicely restored Mission Beige, I really want something with more pop. I am leaning towards a graphite gray, but fontaine blue and mayfair are still possibilities. I am going for an aggressive rest mod look (slightly lowered with bigger wheels and tires). Recommendations / opinions ??

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:36 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
Added a new fuel pump, rubber lines, and fuel tank.

I think she is now ready for paint.....

I've been waiting for this day for a long, long time (well not that long).....So now the debate is what color....

Original was Mission Beige and while I have seen some nicely restored Mission Beige, I really want something with more pop. I am leaning towards a graphite gray, but fontaine blue and mayfair are still possibilities. I am going for an aggressive rest mod look (slightly lowered with bigger wheels and tires). Recommendations / opinions ??
Always like the dark metallic gray's. I like what I call a "platinum gray" which was used on later model Corvettes - sorta a bright gray, yet still dark.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Always like the dark metallic gray's. I like what I call a "platinum gray" which was used on later model Corvettes - sorta a bright gray, yet still dark.
PJ - Thanks for your help (again)!

What about Corvette Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic (looks almost off white) or Shark Gray or Watkins Glen Gray Metallic?

Value wise, will painting the car a non-original color hurt the value and/or is there a difference changing one factory color to another vs. a random color ? (i.e.. factory mission beige vs. mayfair vs. corvette shark gray) ?

Another color I just found was from 67' - Pontiac Silver Glaze Metallic....Thoughts ???

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie

Last edited by cij911; 06-13-2018 at 09:33 AM.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Well, I have postponed paint & interior until ALL mechanical items are complete. The motor and transmission are running great. I did install a set of gold Mr. Gasket springs (part #927 - thanks Lars!) on the distributor to bring in full advance earlier. I have also adjusted my timing down, closer to factory specifications - I am at 8* (full advance is ~34* by 3500 rpm).

At this point I am about to replace the front and rear suspension, along with installing the massive LS1 disc brakes (98-02 Camaro SS or Corvette). The wheels and tires I selected are the AR Torque Thrust II (polished) - 17x8 front (245/45/17) and 17x9.5 rear (275/40/17). Tire-rack guarantees the front will work, the rear will be tight (test fit this weekend).

Front suspension is aftermarket front control arms (upper & lower), Viking coilovers (550#) w/ heim joint, and 1" sway bar (stock ??); rear suspension is Spohn control arms with heim joint (del sphere) joints all around for optimal movement, Viking coilovers (150#) w/ heim joint, and no sway bar for now.

Brakes are from an LS1 and have new Powerstop discs and pads (~13" rotors IIRC) and am using an 8" dual brake booster / master cylinder combination. In addition I will be installing a CVR vacuum pump and Summit Racing vacuum canister (as my motor only pulls ~ 12" vacuum).

I can't wait to get the suspension and brakes installed and dialed in, as the car should drive like an entirely different animal. Wish me luck!

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in