33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:38 AM
O52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
As crazy as it seems, the adjustment is just setting the correct time every day. Theory is that if the clock is 5 min slow, you adjust the hands to correct time. Clock will compensate. Next day clock is 2 min slow. Adjust to the correct time. Next day clock is a minute fast you adjust back. Eventually you get the clock running at the correct speed.
Now with all that being said, these clocks were never intended to keep atomic time but they will generally do quite well for all intents and purposes. A light application of lubricant on the gears should keep it running free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Very interesting. I will give that a try. I left it running for a day and a half and it kept good time....down to the same minute as my test clock (cell phone).

I am glad I was able to repair this thing and the second hand "ticks" along. The quartz movement is a nice option but the second hand sweeps instead of ticks so I wanted to stick with the original movement if possible. It keeps good enough time for me. 1/4 mile at a time...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #243 of 243 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Engine started

Dash installation went well. Wiring harnesses all in. Fenders installed. Radiator and core support in place. Time to fill with fluids and see if it runs. Primed the engine and then spent the next 30 minutes trying to get the distributor back in there and clocked how I wanted it. Eventually I got it back in there. I filled the carb via the vent tube until the accelerator pump squirted. Cranked the key and nothing. The started didn't even attempt to crank. Checked all the connections....had power in all the right spots but still no crank. I pulled out the wiring diagram and began checking my connections under the dash. For 1968, the under dash harness does not come with the ignition switch connector....apparently it's not reproduced so you have to reuse your original connector....just swap over to the new wire harness. Maybe I crossed up a wire so I checked they all seemed correct. I eventually found a pair of heavy gauge wires and then located them on the wiring diagram. Neutral Safety Switch. However, my car is a manual trans so I don't have that switch so I made a heavy gauge jumper wire. Turned the key to test and the engine fired right up.

I was quite surprised. I had never had a new engine fire up on the first crank before. I ran it at 2000 rpm per the camshaft break in sheet and the total advance was right at 32 degrees so my rough guess on the initial timing was nearly perfect. Engine ran pretty good. Dropped it down to idle and it sounded like I remember a round port 041 cam engine should sound. It's been a long time since I have heard one in person though....

Now I need to get the steering wheel on, install the master cylinder and front calipers. I just received them back from White Post Restorations. They sleeved and rebuilt them all and it looks like they did a fabulous job. Looking forward to the first spin around the block in the coming weeks.

Here is a video of the engine at idle if anyone is interested.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12401 dash.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	121609   Click image for larger version

Name:	12402 LH fender.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	939.2 KB
ID:	121611   Click image for larger version

Name:	12403 RH QTR.jpg
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	121613   Click image for larger version

Name:	12404 RH side.jpg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	121615   Click image for larger version

Name:	12405 RAII engine.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	121617  

integrity6987 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in