Resurrecting the cob... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Resurrecting the cob...

Let me start off by saying, it's not my car. The car belongs to a friend of mine who is very 'frugal'... This causes LONG periods o inactivity until he ponies up some cash...

The car was originally a dark blue, not sure what the original interior color was. Car was mostly rust when I got it, and no interior. I have all the interior for it, and am slowly brow beating him into buying body parts. He has gone past the point of no return now...

The car in question is a 1966 GTO post car. Originally a 4 speed. Owners brother bought it new in 1966, and he bought it from his brother when he went to Vietnam in 1971. Sometime in the mid 80's he ditched it and bent the front cap. Car sat behind his house under some trees until 5 or 6 years ago. Owner needs a beating for that...

Original engine and trans are in storage, car has a 6x headed 400 and a different Muncie 4 speed to play with. Mostly stock, small cam, aluminum intyake, and a Holley carb...

Anyways, on to the pics...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

I call it the cob, because that is how rough it is, lol...

I would have refused to work on it if I did not know the owner (actually I did refuse, he drove it over and left it anyway)...

I replaced the floor pans and braces, the trunk pan and braces, the fuel tank, the steel lines for the fuel as that was the source of air causing the hard start after sitting. Rewired the mess under the hood (The exciter for the internal regulator conversion was hooked to the electric choke, when the choke opened the alternator stopped charging, lol...)

Then I tackled the rear of the car...

It was rusted completely around the rear window. At some point it had been patched with some roof flashing, and of course rusted out again...

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Also had to rebuild under the rear tray and replaced that. I hand fabbed the sides where the quarter go, as he was determined to not buy quarters for it...

The lip of the trunk where the weather stripping goes had rotted away. I hand formed a lip for the seal and welded that in place, then poked holes through the 'pretty good' quarters on the car when the owner came by...

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

So he then ponied up the funds for some poorly made (in my opinion) repop quarters, and a new tail panel, I got all 3 hung in this pic...

post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

He liked it so much he gave me some cash for more stuff, so I bought the front lower window channel, a lower driver fender patch, and some other stuff...

And took it down to this this past week...

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Really needed new fenders, these aren't really worth saving. Problem is, the car would never get done if I waited on that to happen, and while it was really so far gone it wasn't worth saving, this keeps another one on the road...

Removed the gauge panel and discovered the dash shell is toast. Stopping point until I can find one, as there really isn't anything left to work with...

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

The dash is the last major hurdle, other than the hood. (this one is too rough to fool with).

The owner has what seems like 183,000 grandkids and nieces/nephews, and all of them have climbed on the roof at some point. So whatever color it ends up being, it will be a vinyl top car...

Yeah the car had issues, but they are mostly behind it now, and once it is done it will be worth it. If he can afford to pay me...lol..
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Tough crowd...
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
That heep needs a Stant restore, pull the radiator cap and roll another GTO under it.

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
That heep needs a Stant restore, pull the radiator cap and roll another GTO under it.

No doubt, but it will eventually be worthy. I just got the funds from the owner to buy a hood and a bolt kit for it. And we are on the hunt for the dash shell. Car is at this point going to be white with a black vinyl top...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in