Seat Cover Installation - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seat Cover Installation

How difficult is it to install new seat foam and covers on a 1965 GTO's bucket seats?

Can this be done with good results by yourself?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unless you have some experience upholstering its better to hire a pro, I attempted to do this myself and soon realized I was way over my head. This was one of just a handfull of items I did not do myself on my rebuild. I paid $230 to have new foam and covers installed and they came out great(I did sell them though, since I got a set of 04 GTO seats)

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I've done several. It's not that hard if you take your time. There are some youtube videos out there to help. I did a writeup on another forum, which people have used. If you want to read it, it's on stevesnovasite.com. Poke around over there and see if you can find it. It's in the "best of" section of their bogy and interior section. I'd send it to you, but The computer I wrote it on died and I don't have it anymore.

Chuck

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Did mine myself and hardest part is The D rings (get the BEST crimper), i did'nt, so after it became useless (half a dozen rings), i improvised and use black zip ties, got them all on loose and used the ratchet effect to stretch the cover evenly doing it by myself. Align the tabs underneath and snip off the excess and you will never see them again, and they wont rust.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
I tried to do mine in '93, and had to give up. If I had been as intelligent as Instg8ter, and had thought of using zip ties, I wouldn't have needed 4 hands and would have been able to do the job. A friend of mine just did the ones on his '67 using the zip-tie method, and they came out perfect and he saved a ton of money. Your call.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Found It!

Here's the site that's currently hosting my "How-To":

Bucket seat Upholstery 1A

I apologize that it's only the bottom at this time. I never got a chance to finish the write up. The good news is that you basically follow the same steps when doing the back.

Take a Look!

Chuck

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
There is a difference in quality among the various suppliers. I'd recommend using replacement covers from Legendary. They'll be more expensive than the others, but the quality difference is dramatic.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
There is a difference in quality among the various suppliers. I'd recommend using replacement covers from Legendary. They'll be more expensive than the others, but the quality difference is dramatic.

Bear
Agreed! I've installed Legendary and PUI. Legendary is a much better product. The PUI covers are usable/servicable, but not the quality of Legendary.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 02:40 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Absolutely. Forgot to mention that! VERY important....Legendary covers are exact replicas in fit, finish, and quality as the original covers. The lesser covers stand out like a sore thumb on a restored car...very cheesy looking. The pleats and seams have no texture or dimension, they are just poorly embossed lines. The price diff is peanuts compared to the labor and cost of getting the seats re done. I re-did mine in '93 with a kit from Year One, and they are identical to the newer Legendary stuff, so I suspect that they are Legendary covers. Closing in on 20 years later, they still look and feel like new. Money very well spent.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm going to give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in